Untitled Part 43

The manticore touched down in front of Meri. She looked up with water in her eyes, but smiled wide. She ran to it and swung up in front of the mage. There were two others on the manticore's back. One of them was the man the hunters had captured yesterday with the mage. She wondered how he had gotten here. Did that mean that the other hunters were still alive? The thought made her smile again.

Behind the man sat Amaunet, leader of the Ravens. The sight of her made a lump form in Meri's throat. She remembered all of the Ravens hanging dead from the walls. If their leader was here, did that mean they were broken?

Meri leaned forward, buried her face in the warm mane of the manticore, and wept.

When the manticore took flight, she didn't notice.

# # #

Isis flew through the back alleys of the city. Behind her, the sounds of battle raged on. They had penetrated into the buildings so fast. She didn't realize how vulnerable the city was without its massive gate to protect it.

And without its priestesses.

And without its general.

Isis clamped a hand to her mouth to keep from breaking down. She swallowed hard. Ahead, she saw the shrine that marked the back entrance. What would she do when she got out of the city?

# # #

Samia shouted orders. She could hear the sounds of battle from within the city. When the rear gate opened, they could have a fight on their hands. Maani smiled at her as hunters moved into a semi-circle facing the bars. Was Samia becoming a good enough leader?

Beyond the iron bars of the rear entrance was a wall of solid stone. To an outsider, this looked like an entrance that had fallen into disuse and been sealed. The rest of them knew better. This was the last way out of the city, when all else had failed.

Drawing their bows, the hunters waited.

# # #

Zahra watched the hunters assemble at the rear entrance. She was hiding in the rocks a safe distance away. One of her fellow Cheetah was with them. She should go to them. She should lead. She just couldn't do it. Lilith could be coming. Lilith would kill them all. She couldn't be stopped.

She could see smoke drifting up from the city. Lilith was there. She was burning the city. She could come and burn them all.

Zahra realized she was shivering in the warmth of the morning sun. She drew her dagger and squeezed it in her palm. The stiff pain sent quivers of warmth through her body. She was in control. Nothing hurt her unless she wanted to be hurt. She was as fast as the wind.

Closing her eyes and sucking in a cleansing breath through her nose, Zahra centered herself.

She stood, brushing a bloody palm on one thigh and a bloody knife on her other. She forced a smile she did not feel and trotted toward the gathered hunters.

# # #

Isis felt the first shot in her shoulder just as she was reaching the carved shrine. It caused her to stumble. The second shot took her in the back of her left thigh. Whimpering, she went to one knee. With a grunt, she pulled herself up on the carving of woman with a falcon's head.

Behind her, she could hear pounding boots and clattering metal. She couldn't bring herself to look.

With fumbling hands, she reached a thumb into the beak of the statue, pulling the trigger just beyond the carved tongue. The stone wall tumbled away, coughing out a cloud of dust and sand. Eyes squeezed shut, Isis limped into the darkness.