Chapter 1

Tori Vega’s POV

The sounds of birds chirping interrupted my sleep as my eyes slowly peeled open. My room was lit only by the sun streaming in through between the drapes on my windows.

“Tori!” I heard an annoying, feminine voice calling at the other end of my wooden door, “wake up, you’re going to be late for your first day at your new school!” I realized the voice belonged to my older sister, Trina.

I groaned as I looked over at the clock, I had two more minutes until my alarm would have gone off and Trina had ruined it. I sighed and turned the alarm off before the annoying ringing would blare through my room and shoved the warm covers off of my body, allowing cold air to sweep over my legs and cause goosebumps to rise on my legs.

Today was my first day at my new high school, which would be completely different from the high school I had just gone to. I used to go to an average school. Bitchy girls gossiping about you in the hallway, creepy and rude teachers, endless amounts of homework being piled on you constantly. But now, I had been accepted to a performing arts high school, Hollywood Arts, after I had performed in their showcase for my sister, who had a swollen tongue that night and couldn’t sing. I got up and picked out a perfect ‘first day’ outfit, consisting of just skinny jeans and a cute shirt. I made sure my hair looked perfect, along with my make up, and was out my bedroom and running down the stairs. I could feel the excitement in me building. Trina had already left, one of our family friends, who also went to Hollywood Arts, would be picking me up.

A knock on the door interrupted my from the thoughts. I quickly grabbed an apple from a bowl in the kitchen, slung my backpack over my shoulder, and walked over to the door throwing it open. My friend, Andre, stood on the other side of the door. He dressed in a simple, grey hoodie and a pair of dark denim skinny jeans.

“Hey Tori,” A smile grew on his lips, “ready for your first day?”
I nodded, “let’s do this.” I took a bite of my apple as Andre led me out of the door and to his car, opening the passenger door for me. “Today is going to be great,” he assured. “I can’t wait for you to meet everyone.”

“Promise not to leave me alone in the hallways or something, I don’t want to awkwardly be standing there by myself.”

Andre chuckled as he got in his side and started the car I sat down, “I will do my best not to leave you, Tori.”
“I said promise!”
“Woman, I can’t promise,” he backed out of my driveway and began driving towards the school, my new school.

I mostly tuned out the radio that was playing some morning talk show and watched out the window as my thoughts began to get the better of me. What if I wasn’t good enough for this school? What if the voice that came out of me at the showcase was more of a one time thing and would never happen again? I probably shouldn’t be going here. I should just go back to my old high school and be with all the normal and boring kids where I belonged. I was normal and boring Tori Vega.

“Take me home,” I looked up at Andre.

Confused he glanced at me quickly before looking back at the road, “huh?”
“Take me home,” I repeated myself.

“Why?” He kept his eyes locked on the road, “did you forget something?”
“No, I just realized I don’t belong at this school.”
Andre’s face relaxed as he began to chuckle a little bit, “you’re kidding, right?”
“No, I’m not kidding. All these kids are going to be crazy talented and I’m just… well… I’m just Tori.”