-

The drive back to Haddonfield was quiet. Leigh didn't dare to say a word. Michael didn't, either.
The sheriff felt quite uncomfortable, but he knew that it would be best to just leave him alone for a while. He'd get put under a lot of pressure, anyway, as soon as they'd get to the courthouse. I bet the whole town will be there.

He could already see the headline of the newspapers. 'The Haddonfield Monster finally caught' or 'Myers after 26 years finally sentenced to death'
Everyone would want to see the guy who killed his sister at the age of six and managed to get away twice from the asylum. Everyone would love to see him, only to yell at him, curse him and wish him the only punishment there was in their eyes; the needle.

Leigh turned his head slightly to look at Michael, before he concentrated on the road in front of them. He could already see the green sign in the distance, on which nearly unreadable and once white letters spelled 'Welcome to Haddonfield'.

-

Leigh first drove to the police station, where he got out of his car and opened the backdoor for Michael, to let him out, too. They didn't share a word. They wouldn't even look into each other's eyes. They just got inside the building, ignoring the officers that came towards them and asked questions.

Michael obediently sat down in one of the cells and Leigh locked it, putting the keys into the pocket of his jacket. He hesitated, but then looked at the man behind the bars, who finally got the courage to look at the sheriff as well.
"I'll be back. Don't talk to anyone. If you want, I'll call you a lawyer, but that has to wait until I'm done with what I've got to do, ok?" Michael nodded, lowering his head again to stare at the tiles on the floor.
Leigh sighed as he turned around and left the station again, keeping the next place, he had to go to, in his mind; y/n's home.

-

It was only about ten minutes away from the station, but right then it felt longer for him. He hesitated a long time before he finally knocked at the door; he still didn't know what to tell the boy's parents, but it was too late for him to turn around and walk away now. Paul, y/n's father (and Leigh's friend), opened the door. His eyes were widened and a smile was spread on his face, but it faltered when he noticed Leigh's serious and sad expression. "God, no. Please say you have good news for me. Please say that you found him." He pleaded, getting his wife's attention. Dianne hurried out of the kitchen and joined her husband, putting a hand on his shoulder as she first looked at him and then at Leigh.

Jesus Christ, please let me get out of this situation. His head started to hurt again and he needed a moment to get his mind clean. "Paul, Dianne, I'm sorry." His voice was quiet, but not quiet enough for them to not hear it. Their eyes widened and a loud sob escaped Dianne's lips as she held a hand in front of her mouth, tears already dwelling in her eyes. Paul needed to hold onto the door frame, his legs were shaking so badly that they nearly gave up on him. His face was pale as he stared at Leigh with disbelief in his eyes.

"This can't be true. Please, my dear friend. Please, tell me that this is just some kind of bad joke and that my son is here." He said with a shaking voice. He peeked over Leigh's shoulder to look for y/n, just waiting for him to jump out of the bushes. But he didn't.

After denial comes anger; Paul's expression darkened and he pushed Leigh away from him. "How dare you come to my house without my son. How dare you break the promise you made." He screamed into the sheriff's face. Leigh didn't move a muscle. He didn't even flinch when Paul slammed the door shut in front of his face, the sound of sobbing and crying following as soon as the door was closed.

Leigh turned on his heels and left, not daring to look back. He just got into his car and took a deep breath; he needed to be calm before he would go back to the station, to prepare for everything that would be coming. All he wanted to do was go home, into the loving arms of his wife, forgetting about everything that had happened. But he wouldn't forget. Even if he wanted to, he just couldn't.
This would haunt him forever and it would give him many sleepless nights. But no matter what was coming, he had to do his job. And he would make sure that Michael would get a fair trial. Though as his thoughts drifted to Loomis his mood changed quickly.

Fucking sonofabitch. I'll make sure that you'll get what you deserve. He shouldn't hold a grudge against the doctor, he knew that too well. But oh, it was not like Loomis would care anyway.
I still wonder who the real monster is. With those thoughts he started his car and drove off.

Only one more chapter to go.
I finished writing it already but I want to wait a bit before I upload it. I originally wanted to release it on October 29th, because on that day, in 2018, I started writing this story.
But I don't want to let you guys wait for too long so I'll release it on October 8th (my 18th birthday btw xD)

Hope you guys like this chapter
I'll see ya in 11 days!