Chapter 24

Loomis looked out of the window at the police station while the sheriff talked to Anderson, the officer who had called them; his eyes observed the area outside, as if he was waiting for Michael and y/n to just walk around on the streets and screw themselves over. He really wanted to find them so this nightmare could finally end, but he couldn't just run off again. This time he needed to lean back and follow the sheriff's lead, even though that meant he needed to show more patience, which he wasn't very good at. Loomis sighed as he took his glasses off to clean them and walked towards the sheriff and the officer.

"So, you're saying that Myers was able to go into a café with the kid he kidnapped, order a coffee and just casually walk out...you're kidding me, right?" Anderson, who was clearly intimidated by the doctor, nervously bit his lower lip, not quite sure what he should answer to that.
"That's what I thought at first, but I can show you the camera footage. I swear it's him!" he said before he stormed off into the room next door.

The sheriff and Loomis shared a sceptical look as Anderson shoved the door open and came back in, holding a box with videotapes in his hands. He practically threw it onto his table before rummaging through it as he looked for the right tape.
"Please excuse the mess, I didn't have enough time to clean this up." Anderson mumbled before he pulled the tape he was looking for out of the box and held it in the air.
"Found it!"

-

Loomis furiously sprinted out of the station towards the car; when they watched the tape he recognised Myers within a few seconds and since the footage wasn't that old there might be a chance of both of them still being near by. At least that's what he was hoping for.

The sheriff followed Loomis quickly, pulling his car keys out of his pocket.
"Wait! Don't just run off without me. We need to stick together to find him."
Loomis turned on his heels and stared directly into the other man's eyes, causing him to stop immediately.
"Don't tell me what to do. We need to hurry the fuck up before he runs away again. They have to be here somewhere! And this time we better fucking get them."

The sheriff sighed but didn't say anything after that. He wasn't dumb; when he had met Loomis for the first time it was clear that the doctor had a weird obsession with Myers, though he didn't quite understand why.
But since that wasn't the thing he should worry about at that moment he decided to ignore the doctor's behaviour and concentrate on the case. If working with that guy meant he could find the boy and bring him back to his family then he could endure the doctor's company for a little while longer.

He unlocked his car and got in. So did Loomis. They drove off without saying anything to each other; Loomis just observed the area like a watchdog while the sheriff slowly drove down the street, thinking about the videotape. He just couldn't believe that Michael was actually stupid enough to let himself get caught on camera.

"Tell that Anderson guy to inform us about every person that's been reported missing in the past days. Maybe we can use that to find Myers and y/n's current location."
The sheriff side-eyed Loomis for a second before he sighed and contacted the police station; it irritated him that the doctor didn't come up with that idea when he had the chance to directly tell the officer.

"What now? It's not like we can do anything at the moment, can we?" The sheriff kept his eyes on the road in front of them as they slowly drove down the long street that lead from one end to the other of the town; he tightened his grip around the steering wheel, hoping that they could just go home for now and leave the rest to the sheriff of this town.

"I hope you didn't think about leaving now. We're so close to end this fucking terror and we won't stop until we get this son of a bitch." Loomis answered, shattering the other's hopes of finally getting a day off within a second.