The Meeting

Mina had prepared herself for an impromptu meeting with Grand Admiral Thrawn the only way she could think of. She picked out one of the dresses she would routinely wear at political meetings, put it on, tidied her hair up and made herself look as put together and important as she could. She is an Ambassador for her planet, she will look like one and she will not let him get to her this time.
Sighing, she looks at her watch, Captain Hoshino will be coming to collect her in a moment. As if hearing her thought, there is a knock on her door and Hoshino walks in. He is dressed in his uniform and he gestures for her to follow him.
"So, you're having a meeting with Imperial High Command?" Hoshino walks beside her to their speeder.
"Yes... alone. I am not quite sure what I should do about it. I must admit I am concerned as to what this meeting might pertain." Mina sighs, "What do you know of the meeting Thrawn had with the Senator?"
"Not much I'm afraid. They would not allow me within the meeting room. All I know is it was a long meeting and when Thrawn left, the Senator seemed frustrated." He shrugs with his shoulders and open the speeder door for Mina to climb into. Mina does so and they are soon on their way. Mina uses the journey to think of how she might turn this meeting to her advantage, perhaps she can play at Thrawn's game. Sure, she might not be as analytical minded as Thrawn but she is good at reading people if she puts her mind to it.
"You ready?" Hoshino disrupts her thoughts and Mina takes a moment and nods.
"I am."
"That's my girl." He smiles and squeezes her shoulder, "You'll be fine. It is probably just a strategic meeting. Nothing to worry about."
She nods and gets out of the speeder. "Thank you Hoshino."
"If you need a ride back, call me." He waves to her and watches as she enters the complex.
Mina fiddles with her collar as she walks down the corridor. She notices more imperial officers than she's used to and narrows her eyes. Approaching Thrawn's office, she knocks on the door. No answer. She glances at her watch, she's on time. Deciding it is better to go into the office than hang around outside, she knocks again then presses the switch. The door opens with no impediment of a lock. Walking in, she hears loud thumps, like a fist making contact with something metallic. Raising an eyebrow she steps further in, noticing to her right a door is open and there is Thrawn, in his trademark white trousers but without the rest of his military uniform on, instead, he wears a black top. Mina's eyes widen, her gaze fixed on him as he fights his droids, and she is impressed ever so slightly by the speed and accuracy of his kicks and punches. She jolts slightly when they make eye contact and she turns her head away quickly, her cheeks flushing. She should not have stared. Mina can feel herself getting hotter and more embarrassed as the seconds tick by. The door shuts and she is deprived of a view. A few moments pass and he strides out of the side room into the main area of the office, his uniform back on.
Thrawn raises a barely perceptible eyebrow and looks at her quietly.
Mina can feel the intensity of his gaze on her and it makes her want to shrink away and fiddle nervously with her hands but she swallows that feeling. "Grand Admiral." Even she is surprised by the surety in her voice, "That was quite a display but I don't believe you asked for this meeting for me to watch you."
Thrawn gestures for her to take a seat then goes to sit behind his desk. Mina has noticed there are more personal effects in this office as she sits down into the chair. It would be comfortable if she did not have the background feeling of pressure. Thrawn speaks softly, and Mina has the realisation that he has not once raised his voice, always calm unlike the Senator. "Ambassador." She is about to correct him when he corrects himself, "Mina Corrath. We have managed to obtain intelligence that suggests the rebels on were funded by someone or a cell here on Etrun."
Mina's eyes widen and she swallows thickly, this could bring Etrun under the scrutiny of the Empire and endanger everyone. "Oh." She pauses, "You do not think it is me?"
Thrawn maintains eye contact with her for longer than she feels comfortable with, "We have not found any evidence of your collaboration with these rebels, yet."
"Is that why there are more imperial's on this world? You do understand Etrun is a neutral planet, your presence here is unusual say best and illegal at the worst."
"Hardly. We have been granted time to find the rebel collaborators by the Imperial senate and your senator."
Mina can feel the heat in her cheeks again, but instead of embarrassment, it is now rage. Steeling herself, she keeps her voice steady and calm. "I see. I do hope there will be no occupation of this planet by Imperial forces."
"We do not seek for that to happen Mina Corrath." Thrawn stands up quietly, "We simply want to find who killed all those civilians." He looks at her painting.
Standing up, she walks closer, she doubts he cares about the civilians.
"You question my honesty Mina Corrath."
"Yes. I do Grand Admiral. I've studied some of your battles and civilian casualties can be...high." Mina looks at her painting too, not to overstep her boundaries.
"I have indeed incurred civilian casualties on some of my missions but understand this, they were regretful."
He's lying. Mina can feel her fists beginning to clench but she relaxes. "I understand."
"I want to apprehend these rebels and bring them to justice."
"Imperial justice or Etrun justice." Mina glares at him.
"Mina Corrath. There is no difference." Thrawn suggests and she can feel an angry retort boiling inside her but she's already disturbing the water.
Thrawn watches her silently and smiles to himself.
"Don't think I don't know what you are doing Grand Admiral." Mina takes her time to breath out a calming breath. "I know what you can do and how analytically minded you are, this is all to judge my reaction."
"Correct. You may be knowledgable of what I am doing but you wear your emotions openly, you can't stop yourself from being an open book." Thrawn looks at her, though Mina can not help but feel like he is looking down on her which is not helped by the height difference. Feeling like an admonished child, she looks away. "Maybe not Grand Admiral but at least I am honest and true about my intentions. You however have a hidden agenda." She holds her head high, "Which makes us even more different than we already were."
Thrawn raises an eyebrow at her, his calm demeanour slipping for only a moment. "Do you know of the Chiss?"
Mina reacts visibly to the change of subject, blinking in slight confusion. "What?"
"My people." Thrawn speaks and Mina swears she detects a hint of.. sadness.
"No. I don't. I tried to look into it but there is such little information about your people."
"The Chiss are secretive but we highly value intelligence, loyalty and honour. I do differ from some of my people with my strategical knowledge and in other ways but I value that individuality and creativity. I can use it in order to recognise flaws in plans, warrior's weak spots and their style."
She smiles softly, if Thrawn is telling her this information, there is no use in alienating him further by ignoring him.
Thrawn nods, "Which is why I will find who funded these rebels. They are a product of their culture." He returns his focus to the painting in front of them, "What do you think of the rebels?"
"I. Am I able to speak freely?"
"As freely as I can allow you to, yes."
"I... I don't agree with their methods at all. They endangered civilians and killed so many. No side in war are without demons but civilians, they do not deserve to be caught in the crossfire between different factions."
"Do you believe the Empire is right in what they are doing Mina Corrath?" Thrawn keeps his hand behind his back but his grip tightens.
"I." Mina takes a breath, "I can see where the rebels are coming from in some ways, there is no way such a big Empire can control all corners of the galaxy and unfortunately corruption is something that is blooming on the edges of the galaxy and within the Empire." She notices Thrawn's attention on her and she brushes her hair with her hand. She's got to play this right. "I'm not blaming the Empire but there are so many planets suffering under corrupt officials who say they are acting under the will of the Empire. It doesn't help that the Empire has a massive problem with xenophobia and many frown upon anyone who isn't human." She looks up at Thrawn, "I doubt you can deny that last part."
Thrawn speaks, softer and slower. "No, I can't deny that there is a lack of appreciation of other cultures and species. I have encountered many who have looked down upon me, tried to hinder me, or insult me because of my species."
Mina nods, "Have I said anything treasonous yet?"
"You are highlighting flaws. You have not said anything treasonous, at least for now. Though I would try to keep those words to yourself. There is corruption, but there was also rife corruption and the inability to act within the Republic. It is unavoidable."
"But it can be lessened. People are suffering under corrupt officials, especially those who aren't human." Mina rubs her hand nervously.
"Yes." Thrawn looks at the paining quietly, "Were you exposed to non-humans at an early age."
Mina nods, "Yes actually. Humans are not native to Etrun, we settled on this planet many lifetimes ago and while we are the majority, it is not just humans on this planet. Ancient Etrun society has always respected differences and welcomed visitors from other planets. We weren't the only settlers to come here. Eventually, we were discovered as it were. We did not want to become involved in conflicts or wars so we mainly kept to our own corner of the galaxy. Though it seems we could not remain untouched."
"I admire the desire to protect your planet and preserve your culture."
"We always will. We want to preserve it and others. That's why we have an emphasis on learning other cultures and a large archive. Though, there are parts of the archive only available to native Etrunans. We also want to protect our history."
Thrawn nods, "I would like to learn more about your planet and culture and it may help me coming to understand who the funder of these rebels are. Would you be able to help me Mina Corrath."
Mina turns to face Thrawn, "I can't help you in the investigative matters as my role as Ambassador must refrain from legal matters such as that but I suppose I can help you with obtaining history and archival material. You're welcome to learn more about us."
Thrawn inclines his head, "I would appreciate that Mina Corrath." He turns and heads to his desk. "I suppose this is our meeting over. We have been here longer than I intended."
"Yes. We have." She glances at her watch, "I should probably walk home."
"Walk home? Do you not have a driver?"
"Yes I do but he has finished for the day. I know he would come to my call but he has had many late nights recently and I wish for him to see his family."
"I can have someone escort you back."
Mina debates this offer and hesitates, "I, well."
"It is dark and you do live quite a distance away. It would not be right for me to allow the Ambassador to walk home alone."
"Alright. You're not going to allow me to say no."
"Of course I would allow you to say no but I would prefer you be escorted home, if not by your driver but an officer."
Mina nods.
"I shall contact someone and they will be with you shortly."
"I will leave you to it and thank you Grand Admiral Mitth'raw'nuruodo." Mina knows her pronunciation is off and unpracticed but she notices a small moment of wonder and appreciation.
"Your pronunciation is off by quite a bit but I appreciate the attempt."
"Perhaps in exchange for me helping you with our history, you can teach me how to pronounce your name properly." Mina smiles
"A fair exchange." Thrawn walks over to Mina and escorts her out of his office. "An Officer will be with you in a moment, I have some matters to attend to." He inclines his head, "It was a pleasure Mina Corrath."
Mina inclines her head to, "For once, I agree Mitth'raw'nuruodo." Only after she finishes the sentence does she realise she had not addressed him with his title but he does not correct her. She smiles as the door to his office closes and she no longer has his company. For the first time, she found herself less irritated after meeting with Thrawn than she went in.

A/N: a much longer chapter this time but I really wanted to go for it. I hope you enjoy it, I would appreciate any comments or votes on this chapter. I would especially like to know what you think of this so far.