Chapter 1.

Dead. I am stone-cold dead... literally. I wasn't planning on it, but accidents happen and now I'm stuck here in the one place I never thought I would be buried in, my small rural town where everyone seems to leave except for me.

Now,  Sandsville is quite the opposite of its meaning, in fact, it spends a good five months covered in snow and the closest beach to us is at least a day's drive. It's not a horrible town, but who would want to live in a place where you're completely surrounded by bears all year round? In elementary school, half our recesses landed us indoors for the fear that one of those ferocious beasts might snatch us up. I'm proud to say that it's only happened once in our three hundred year history.

Anyways, being one of two spooky ghosts in this town comes with some perks. For one, I pretty much have free range of the place and have been able to get into places I wasn't allowed to be with that flesh carcass I called a body. I never had a problem with it, I thought I looked nice enough on an average day with my baby blue dip-dyed brown hair that reached just past my shoulders. I thought the colour would compliment my fair complexion, maybe give me some sort of edginess. It was definitely a choice, that's for sure. I enjoyed my curves too. They made me feel powerful most of the time and made sure I could pull off any high waisted pants thrown my way. Not to forget, no matter how tall I got, any high topped shoe seemed to fit with any outfit I pulled out of my closet.

Being translucent, as some might say, well I don't really know what people actually see of me when I scare the shit out of them, it's kind of weird. It took me a while to get used to it at first. Sometimes I feel that I look like I have a cold or something, just desaturated and somewhat gloomy in appearance. I'm just glad that I ended up with my favourite knitted sweater. What also rocks is that I haven't had to take a shower in over a year. Chores? They're all gone too. It's like a permanent spring break, but in this case, you went camping with your friends in a tent and they're always scared of you... because you're dead.

Seeing as it's the first day back to school for everyone, I finally have something to do again. Yeah, I know I shouldn't be this excited, but does anyone actually expect me not to take advantage of my situation. Maybe I'll scare some freshmen in the bathroom playing Bloody Mary or pull on some girl's hair when there's no one standing behind her. All I know is that it's going to be a hell of a year for the students at Saint Rose High.

I never thought I would hear those bells ring again, even if it's only been two months. They just seem to be calling my name, not to forget the sound of the rusted blue locker doors slamming and the slick, newly cleaned, floor tiles under my feet. I don't know why I consider this place paradise, cause I honestly hated all my classes when I was alive. I bet it's because of that shrine they built for me at the front of the school.

I swear if one more person lights another pumpkin spice scented candle I will tip-toe around their house for a whole week!

Being quite vocal was never really my thing, in fact, I used to do my best to not be called on by any of my teachers. I would have rather died, metaphorically of course... Well, I definitely got more than I bargained for. 

When everyone's in class, I kind of just mope around the halls looking for my next greatest prank of them all. Today by chance I found someone's lost lipstick in the stall to the bathroom nearest the cafeteria. The only logical thing for me to do is leave a creepy message for the one person I knew would be the most superstitious of them all, the perverted librarian Mr. Dumble. How he managed to get the job is beyond me. Long before I ever even met the guy, rumours about him have been spread throughout town like spindly vines. Anyways, one of those such rumours involves the fear of his ex-fiancé, no one actually knows what happened to make this six-foot, plaid wearing man squeal in panic, but maybe scaring him just a little will stop him, at least for a little while, from checking out the junior and senior girls.

Luckily for me, he has a window separating his solitary breakroom from his desk where he checks out everyone's books. Not only that, but he also tends to leave the lights off when he's not in there.

No one usually sees me wandering and sneaking into places, so parking myself in front of the window is no problem at all.

As I open the cap off the lipstick I can smell its faint strawberry scent and see its glossy hot pink texture. I twist it far enough to be able to write with it.

"Barry, honey, I think you should keep eyes only for me. Xoxo, you know who..." I say, repeating what I wrote down.

Now I just had to wait for the lunch bell to ring and watch my master plan at work. Of course, that wouldn't be for another twenty minutes, so I refer myself to sitting up on the end of the table where my friends used to sit when we studied after school, yet had since been taken over by Percy Lewis and the rest of his running buddies. The four of them are all quite fit, well more or less, and reserve themselves to wearing track pants and running shoes no matter the season.

Today out of all days, however, they were receiving a visit from the very friendly, bubbly, Fia.

"Hey guys," she says somewhat shyly while hugging her binders and swaying her hips slightly.

"Hey," Elijah, the dirty blond-haired boy, answers plainly.

"You guys are coming tonight, right?" she asks them.

Percy leaves bare his smiling white teeth, "Totally. Can't wait."

"Great," Fia grins biting the left corner of her lip. "This party is going to be hella wicked."

Wicked? Definitely.