Chapter 28

The music blared loudly as Sonia sat in her seat, sipping on her soda, watching people dance on the floor before her in blinking hazy lights.

She saw Gage executing rather complicated moves with a red headed girl. Sonia bit her cheek to hold in the laughter as he twirled the girl around and then turned away to another girl.

"What's so funny?" Ian asked from his seat beside her.

Sonia cocked her head to look at him. He had his back turned to the dance floor.

"Why are you sitting like that?"

"I hate it when Gage does all those stupid moves," he grumbled taking a sip of his beer.

"And why do you hate it?" She inquired, turning slightly towards him.

Ian merely shrugged his shoulders and kept silent. Sonia rolled her eyes and turned back to enjoy the show.

A while later, Gage plopped down on the other side of her, letting out a breath, "Phew, I need a drink," he stated and plucking the glass from Sonia's hand, gulped down the juice in one go.

"Thanks, love," he placed the empty glass on the table behind them.

"You seemed to be having a great time," Sonia smiled at him.

"Umm-hmm," he smirked.
Sonia wrinkled her nose, "Just can't get it why girls throw themselves at you."

"Must be my moves."

Sonia let out a laugh at that and Ian scoffed.

"Why are you sitting here with this idiot?" Gage asked, "You should be there", he pointed to the dance floor, “-having some fun. We brought you here for that very purpose."

She looked at him and shrugged, "This is all so new for me-"

"New for you?" Ian interrupted.

"Yeah, I've never, ever, been to a club."

"Haven't you ever danced before?" Gage asked.

"Of course I have," she defended.

"Then what's the problem?" He frowned.

She merely threw up her hands.

"Let her be Gage, she's lying," Ian said lazily.

"What? No. I'm not lying!" She exclaimed.

"Oh yes, you are. She doesn't know how to dance, Gage," Ian said looking at him over her head, ignoring her attempts to deny him, "She just has no idea how to move to the music."

"If that's the problem then I'll show you how to dance. Come with me," Gage offered his hand to her, a look of sympathy on his face.

"Gage," Ian's voice held a warning tone, "Do not force her. She's afraid she'll make a fool of herself," his eyes moved to Sonia.

Her head whipped in Ian's direction, "Is that what you think?"

He merely shrugged his answer. Agitated, she slapped Gage's hand away, rather roughly and got up.

Gage began to move behind her when Ian stopped him by placing a hand on his shoulder, "Let her go. She needs to let herself loose," he turned in his seat and slumped in it, his elbow resting on the table behind them. Gage shrugged and settled back too.

They both watched as she made her way to the DJ and leaned over, saying something in his ear.

Turning back, she walked over to the dance floor. Once she was right smack in the middle of the floor, she started swaying slightly to the music. She smiled in acknowledgement at a couple of boys and let out a laugh as the girls from her class, pulled her by her arm to join their group.

She kept the rhythm for a few moments, and then the music changed. She raised her hand up in the air and gave a thumbs-up to the DJ.

Ian and Gage watched with narrow eyes as he too returned the gesture and began fiddling with the controls on his device. They returned their gaze back to her. She was busy with her swaying.

Both of them watched with bated breath as the boys coyly joined their group. One of them started dancing with a redhead while the other angled towards Sonia. She twirled around and bumped into him, causing him to steady her by placing both his hands on her arms.

Ian growled at the sight and started to rise from his seat when Gage stopped him just like he had earlier.

"Let her be, Ian," Ian turned his glower to Gage and he shrugged, "If she gets into any problem, we are right here. Let her have some fun," he patted Ian's shoulder making him sit down and they both turned their attention back to the dance floor.

The music suddenly stopped leading to protesting groans from the crowd.

"Whoa whoa whoa. This one's been requested by my beautiful girl. Have fun, sweetie," the D.J. announced and hit the music.

The crowd cheered as the beginning of Sia's Cheap Thrills began to play.

Ian looked at Gage at the same time his face turned towards him, their eyes wide as realization dawned upon them. Another loud hoot from the crowd drew their attention back.

And right there, in the middle, was Sonia, swaying her hips, her arms up over her head as she moved her head to the music.

And then, the lyrics began,

Up with it girl

Ian could only gawk at her as her body moved fluidly with the music, miming the lyrics with her jives.

The singer sang something about bouncing and dancing and she pivoted and skipped along.

Ian looked at her face then and was awestruck by the smile there. The perfectly radiant one, which urged the others surrounding her to join in, mimicking her steps. And suddenly it looked like a well choreographed performance with her in the lead.

She twirled around and gave a thrust on either side as the words Hit the dance floor, echoed around. Twirling yet again and then moving her waist with a sensual grace as her hands moved up and about.

She danced pretty well on her own but when the male lyrics started again, a guy pulled her by her arm.

Ian and Gage shot up from their seats and had already taken a couple of steps ahead when they realised that the guy was actually spinning and waltzing with her.

Ian's breath hitched in fear when the guy swung her down, her head merely less than an inch away from hitting the floor, pulled her up and then tossed her up in the air.

They both released a breath they didn't knew they were holding when the tough guy caught her safely on her way down. But she was not done yet.

The instant her feet touched the ground, she was back to dancing, this time salsa with the guy.

As the female vocals returned, she turned away, completely dismissing him and was back to being her own girl.

"Man is she awesome," Gage marvelled.

"Took my breath away," Ian mumbled, eyes glued to her as she threw her hands up again, eyes closed, hair forming an exotic shadow around her, as her body swayed in rhythm to the closing music.

She kept her lazy swaying and swirling till the last of the final notes faded away. Only after that did she open her eyes, that too, to the round of applause and cheering around her.

She smiled, thanking the ones who lauded her. Once again she was grabbed by the salsa / tosser guy who engulfed her in a big hug.

"Who the hell is he?" Ian asked, refraining himself from going over and wrenching him apart from Sonia.

"Garrett, Dim's friend," Gage answered, folding his arms over his chest as he observed them, "She's got the thing at making new friends. I think they both met when she came home a couple days ago. He was there, had some assignment or class work to finish with Dim."

Ian turned to look at him, "Class work to salsa?"

Gage's brow knitted as he scratched his head, "I guess they all then got their heads together over her bike."

Ian nodded, "That must be her bonding with him."

Gage was about to comment on it when Sonia rushed over to them.

"So? How was it?"

Gage had to smile at that. She looked so radiant with her cheeks flushed and eyes shining with excitement.

"Now that was something, girl," Gage said, slapping Ian on his back, who was busy ogling her, "wasn't it Ian?"

He blinked as he averted his gaze from her face, clearing his throat awkwardly. Sonia smiled at his silliness.

She glanced at Gage and he shrugged his shoulders, "He's choking on his words."

Sonia let out a soft chuckle as Ian turned to glare at Gage.

"It’s okay," she said, placing her hand on Ian's arm, "I enjoyed because of you."

Ian's lips curved up at her declaration and he turned back to Gage, wiggling an eyebrow up and down.

"Come-on," Gage exclaimed, throwing up his hands, "Don't tell me that was your plan all along."

Ian let out a laugh and slapped him on his back, "Let’s go," he said gesturing to Sonia.

Sonia smiled, contended, as she enjoyed the evening. An hour or two later, Dim leaned towards her, "We must get going now," he said in her ear.

Sonia nodded as she looked down at her phone and noticed the late hour, "But where are the others?" She asked looking around.

After much convincing from her and a few coy looks from some exceptionally remarkable ladies, the others had agreed to join the dance floor. However, there was no sign of the four now.

"I'll go, gather them," Dim said as he rose up from his seat, "You go over and get the car from the valet," he handed her the card and after a quick side hug and a kiss to her temple, left to search for others.

  Sonia gathered her phone and Jake's from the table before making her way to the exit.

A gust of wind greeted her the moment she stepped out of the door. She shivered from the sudden change and rubbed her arms.

"Jacket is in car," she mumbled and moved towards the valet area. Handing over the card, she wrapped her arms around her torso and took a couple of steps away from the station.

Sonia shook her head as she glanced over at the rush. Seemingly, it would take a while before their car arrived. Huffing she moved to a corner, stepping out of the way of a drunkard.

As she stood by the brick wall of the pub, a little away from the lively crowd, she glanced down at the pictures she had clicked with her phone in the pub.

She was so immersed in her phone that she didn't notice at first the two dark figures that engulfed her.

Sensing it, but a bit too late, she turned around, her eyes wide, instinct making her fists clench by her side as she pushed the phone in her pocket. She pulled back her arm, should the need to hit arise, but the figures had already surrounded her.

She punched out and a grunt of pain from the man registered in her mind, making her proud of herself. But the other one was quick, and held her back, blocking her arms and placing a palm on her mouth to silence her scream, he started dragging her to the side alley.

Sonia struggled but she was not strong enough to escape the brutal hold of the man. She shook her head, helpless, as she realised in horror that, she was being taken away.

And there was no way the boys could save her this time

                              *****
Two updates back to back.
Keep voting, commenting and sharing;)

Till we meet again:)