Chapter 2

"Is that all?" Ian questioned as he placed the last bag in her room.

After the pleasant snacks, Caroline and James had politely asked Ian to help Sonia with her bags. Ian dutifully obliged, feeling happy about not getting a scolding from either of his parents.

Carrying a couple of bags was much better than getting embarrassed in front of the new member. But when he saw only three bags, he couldn't help but ask her.

  "Yes. Other things are being shipped. Will have them here in a couple of days," Sonia replied looking for her charger in her bag.

"Okay. So you want me to bring them here when the cargo arrives?" Ian asked with a raised brow.

"Huh? No, no," she waved her hand in a dismissal, "They will go in the storage. Only books and other such things will be kept here,” Sonia unzipped one of the bags and started unpacking.

"You like the room?" Ian enquired, curiosity lacing his voice.

"Yes, it's lovely,” Sonia nodded; a smile graced her lips as she looked around the room again.

"Okay, I guess I will just leave you to unpack. If you need anything, holler for me or you can find me in my room. There", he said gesturing towards his room through her doorway.

  Sonia glanced up at him. He looked like a little boy. Shuffling from foot to foot, a look of boredom masked his face. One hand in his jean pocket while the other was pointing towards his room.

"Yes, Ian. I know the way to your room,” She smiled, "Thank you.”

"Okay then. Bye," He muttered, slamming the door shut on his way out.

  The boy certainly has temper issues, Sonia mused before getting back to the task at hand, Aunt Carol was right to warn me about her son's temper. But I didn't do anything wrong, did I? She wondered and meticulously arranged her things.

***
      "MOM.”

James and Caroline were peacefully seated in the library when they heard Ian.

  "Here comes your boy,” James chuckled, “Over here, son,” he answered raising his voice.

"Mom Dad!” Ian rushed inside the library and stared at them.

His father sat relaxed on the couch, reading a newspaper and his mother sat on the rocker in front of the fireplace, with a book.

"Why did you tell me to take her bags up?" Ian demanded.

"Asked." his father corrected, not bothering to look up from the paper.

"Yeah, that. Why did you ask me to take her bags up?" Ian spat the word out and narrowed his eyes at his father.

"Because that's what a gentleman must do. And since, the said gentleman didn't even reach the airport in time to receive her, that's the least he could do,” Caroline answered, looking at her son somewhat accusingly.

"But I apologised to her as soon as I got back, didn't I. Dad?" he went over and sat besides James on the couch.

"Well, come to the point, young man. What happened?" Folding the paper and placing it aside, James turned to his son.

"She was rude to me,” Ian whined, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Aye, the girl is arrogant. She behaved rudely with me too, son." James agreed, a frown marring his face.

"There you go! I told you, girls are good for nothing. Always being rude and trying to boss over everybody," Ian said in a know-it-all tone. Huffing, he got up and started pacing around the room. "Did she behave the same way with you too, Mom?"

"Of course!" Caroline got up and came over to sit next to James, "How ill mannered she was when she helped me clean the table and wash the dishes!" She said with disbelief.

"And do you know what she did when I showed her the room?" James continued after Caroline, not giving their son a chance to shut his gaping mouth, "She thanked me and then she kissed my cheek!" He whispered the last part.

"Oh my, how rude,” Caroline squeezed his hand then looked at her son who was staring hard at the couple, "She really is rude, isn’t she?"Sarcasm dripped from her words as she glanced at Ian, daring him to say something.

Ian took a small step back on seeing the look on his Mother's face. His line of thoughts paused and his facial expression looked like he had been caught doing something he shouldn't have done. After a minute, he sighed and stuffed his hands in his jean pockets, "Okay, fine. I was wrong. I was being rude, not her." A sheepish look took over his features as he said the next words, "I even slammed her door on my way out."

"That's disgusting,” Caroline knitted her brows and looked at her son in disbelief.

"Exactly what I am feeling right now. Disgust,” Ian cringed slightly, not liking his behaviour towards the new comer.

"You will clear this with her,” James said and when Ian didn't show any sign of response, he added sternly, "won't you, Ian Richards?"

Ian winced at the use of his full name. His father rarely used that tone but when he did, that clearly indicated that he wasn't happy with his son's doings.

"Yes, sir,” he muttered and looked down at his feet, "I am sorry, Dad. Sorry Mom.”

“Apologise to the girl, Ian," was all he got from his father.

"Don't hurt that girl, son,” Caroline said softly, rising from her seat. She laid a hand on his cheek and looked at him, lovingly. She's already been hurt a lot. Life has not been fair to a sweet girl like her. You won't add yourself to the list of the people who made her sad and upset, will you?" She questioned, stroking his cheek with her thumb.

"No, Mom,” he assured her, looking straight in her eyes, "I will try to be a good friend to her."

"That's my boy,” Caroline smiled. “Now, I am going to start preparing dinner. You go up and start making amends," saying so, she left the father-son duo in the library.

Instead of doing what is Mother said, Ian stood there, staring hard at the ground.

"Do as you Mom says,” James dismissed him and went back to reading.

"Aye, aye Sir,” Ian hurried out of the library and started for steps. It should be easy, he thought and then stopped before turned towards kitchen. He went straight to the fridge and took out two beer bottles. He was nearly out of the kitchen when his Mom called out.
"She'll appreciate a girl drink, Ian." Abruptly he turned back and placed the bottles back in their place.

"Help me with the girl drink, Mom?" he pleaded.

"The pitcher of lemonade is on the second shelf. That will do,” Caroline directed him, not taking her eyes off the dinner she was busy preparing.

"Oh, thank you," he grabbed the pitcher and poured it in two glasses. As he placed the glasses on the tray, an idea came to his mind. He opened the fridge again and pulled out two pastries. Setting everything on the tray neatly, he poked his Mother's arm to get her attention.

"Umm-hmm. Will definitely do,” his mother nodded her head in approval.

Grinning, he dashed out of the kitchen halting abruptly so as to not run into his father.

"Careful, son,” James grunted.

"Yeah yeah,” Ian slipped past him and continued to trek up the stairs.

  Seeing his son scurry off, James entered the kitchen. "I just saw Ian running out of here with pastries in his hands.”

"For Sonia," Caroline looked up from her work.

"What's for dinner?" James questioned, picking up pieces of carrot from the plate and shoving them in his mouth. Carolineslapped his hand when he tried to have some more pieces.

“Something she might like,” Caroline answered, placing the plate away from James’ reach.

"Fetch me some tomatoes and then stay out of kitchen till dinner's ready,” She instructed him.

"Yes ma'am,” James mumbled mirroring the exact expression Ian had. Chuckling to herself, she went back to her cooking.