Chapter 9

Three months and three weeks have passed. Time indeed flies.

It seems like only yesterday when we first learned that we are expecting. Today is the day for the gender reveal.

I refused the squad and Jema's family's offer to celebrate it. Specifically it's Ponggay and Mafe that wants to throw a party.

I declined it.

I want it the traditional way. To know the gender right there, on the hospital with my own two ears.

Ang totoo niyan, ayoko yung ganun na iba ang unang makakaalam. Dapat ako at si Jema, kami. We're the parents.

Jema is a bit overweight. I think I was guilty on that part. I spoiled her with foods everyday. Feeling ko kasi since dalawa na silang naghahati sa nutrients, baka makulangan sila kaya ayun I always buy foods.

Don't get me wrong here. I bring healthy foods home. It's just that the quantity is a bit too much.

Fruits, veggies, and various pastries. She also loves blueberry yogurt. Mahilig kasi si Jema magnibble in between meals.

Nag-halfday ako sa work ngayon. It's 12:30 in the afternoon now. I called Jema already and nasa lobby na siya. 2:00 ang schedule namin sa hospital.

I pulled the car over and opened the passenger seat.

I fastened her seatbelt that is already adjusted for her size.

We entered the drive thru of McDonalds and bought burgers and pineapple juice.

Minsan lang naman. Namiss ko na rin ang fast food.

We entered the hospital and sat near the prenatal section.

"Mrs. Wong, pinapatanong po ni Dr.Lopez kung okay lang daw po ba na mauna na kayo? Nagsabi kasi yung patient niya for 12:30 na 2:00 na po makakarating." the nurse told us.

I looked at Jema and she nodded.

We entered the room and I helped her to sit in the hospital bed.

"Thank you po at nakarating kayo earlier to the schedule. Mommy Jema are you ready to know the gender of your baby?" asked the doctor.

Tumango lang siya at tumingin sa akin.

After a while pinahiga na si Jema. Sinuot na ni doc ung rubber gloves and took a thing that is connected to a monitor.

She applied a transparent gel in Jema's tummy.

Ginalaw-galaw ni doc ung hawak niyang something. Maybe to look for the best angle.

I am looking at the monitor. Honestly di ko mapicture si baby. I can't see where's the head.

After few minutes,

"Looks like it's a baby boy!"

...

I smiled.

Ngiting wagi.

Honestly gusto ko talaga baby boy eh. I want my first born to be the one who will look after his younger siblings.

Don't get me wrong ha. I just felt that first born boy can be nurtured to be a protector of his family.

Almost four months ago when we were in Laguna, Papa told me that he wishes for a boy because he never had a son.

My dad never talked about it but I know yun din ang wish niya. Wala pa kasi siyang apong lalaki.

Wala pang third generation na magpapatuloy ng last name namin.