8 | Family (III)

Începe de la început

Elred would not die here. Not without Savel hearing the truth from her. She would see Reza grow up. Her guilt would not atone itself.

If anything, the summon for a court hearing would give her a good way to tell the Royal Clan everything in one hash. She would need their influence and power if she's going to save the Glass Mountain and get her family out of the way.

A pair of floor to ceiling doors carved out of glass swung inward, revealing array upon array of seated nobles. Heads swung to her direction as a Court Marshall announced her presence. The Queen's eyes flashed from her place in the center of the room. Scarlet eyes common to all Valkalin offspring followed her as she strode towards the throne where her parents sat. As usual, her brother was absent with his chair beside her father remaining empty.

Elred narrowed her eyes. The number of chairs and relatives present seemed to be bigger than the last time she was here. A scoff shook her shoulders. Looks like the Queen brought the whole family.

She smoothed her skirts and dropped into a bow in front of the Queen. From the corner of her eye, she saw an imperious woman that made her raise an eyebrow. Whoa. Great Grandma was still alive. Great. Elred curled her mouth with distaste. No. Not great.

Her eyes swept through the crowd gathered around her today. All these people with Valkalin as their last names. All of them, cowards.

Pale faces enhanced by Helinfirth's altitude stared at her like stone masks. The amount of garish gowns and coats present in this room alone could have clothed the whole of the Disfavoreds. The versallis used for them could have established borders in Entobern or fed Rabante for a whole year.

Elred clenched her fists by her side as she stepped back once, following the common royal protocols in appearing at court. Was this what being a Queen like? Would she have to spend her days stuffed in a stiff corset with heavy necklaces bearing down her neck? If so, being exiled sounded appealing.

Ah. That's why the whole clan dragged their pampered asses out of their estates. Today might turn out into an heir lottery that could put one of their own offspring on the Helinfirth throne as the next Crown Princess.

"All rise for the Sovereign Heir to the Crest of Helinfirth, Crown Princess of the Valkalin Family, Bearer of the Abshire Rose," the Court Marshal announced by the doorway. His voice rang in thick waves around the room. "Pledge your blessings. All that transpired in this very room will be recorded in the Holy Annals as testament. Rio Zeral and Rena Anahel, may the gods guide your judgement."

A sliver of murmured blessings swept through the crowd. Elred kept her face straight, but her insides ran along with the common line uttered before a court proceeding. Highest Crintine, may you guide this soul to stay true in our courts.

As if Crintine really gave her guidance to anyone.

"Proceedings will begin," the Court Marshal said before disappearing into a separate room in the far side of the hall, no doubt listening to and recording everything that would transpire.

"Elred," her mother's voice would forever be an insult to Elred's ears. "We have noticed erratic behavior on your part."

"Oh, congratulations for not calling me sooner then," Elred crossed her arms against the Court's numerous rules against showing aggression in front of the monarchs. Well, screw it. For the past seventy-seven years she'd lived in this mansion, she had an earful of their long speeches about royal behavior and conduct. She's not going to have this conversation again, especially with the whole clan present.

Her mother's face was stone. "Is that how you treat your Queen? Do you know we, as a full Council, could revoke your title and your privileges?" she waved a hand in a vague direction. "Think about Reza. How do you think he will fare without this comfort? The lower world is harsher than you think."