Part 51: 𝓘 𝓜𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝓤𝓹

"I am Spider-Man

"I am Spider-Man... and I messed up."
~*~
Word Count: 993

*Peter's POV*

As soon as walked into the hotel, I heard Ned sigh in relief. "Peter! Oh my god! We almost died!" He exclaimed.

"Hey, guess what? I'm done with the mission!" I told him, excitedly.

"Dude, the trip's over." He said sadly and my smile immediately fell.

"What?"

"There's monsters coming out of the ground wherever we go. Of course our parents would want us home!" He said in a 'duh' tone and Mr. Harrington approaches us, moving his phone away from his ear.

"Please, don't put me on hold." He said quickly before looking to me with a wide smile. "Oh, Peter! You're not dead! Oh, my god. Yes. Good, stay here. Don't die." He pointed to Ned. "Put some clothes on. We're booking flights." Mr. Del walked towards us while Mr. Harrington walked away, talking into his phone again.

"Speaking for science, we're leaving because of witches. Welcome to the new dark ages." He said creepily before walking away too.

"What's going on, dude?" I asked Ned, confusion spread across my face.

"We're going home in the morning."

"No, no, no, no. All the Elementals are gone!" I said in frustration.

"Ned?" Betty called from down the hall.

"Coming, sweetie." He called back as he walked away. Then, Flash pokes his head out his door.

"Can you guys keep it down? I'm live-streaming." He complained and closed his door. Then, MJ was next to open her door.

"Hey, could you answer your phone? I think you left it in your room and it's been ringing since we got back." She said and I ran to my room.

"Kathy!" I gasped and I ran in and picked up my phone from my bed. After a moment of loading, Kathy's face was on my screen. "Kathy?" I said quietly, taking in her injured state. She had bandage on her right temple, a purple eye, and multiple cuts on her face.

"Peter, thank god! Are you okay?!" Kathy's worried voice cried and my heart ached at her strained and broken voice.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, Kathy. Are you okay? How are you feeling?" I asked.

"That doesn't matter right now!" She stated. "Peter, where's that guy? The guy you were fighting with?" She asked urgently.

"M-Mr. Beck? He's on his way to Berlin, he's joining the Avengers." Kathleen buried her face in her hands and shook her head, I heard her curse in multiple different languages under her breath that I couldn't understand. "Love, what's wrong?" When she removed her hands, her eyes were red and filled with tears.

"He did this to me, Peter! Everything he did, it's all fake! It's a projection!" My stomach plummeted and I immediately felt sick.

"What...?" I asked quietly, barely above a whisper. "You're serious?"

"Have I ever steered you wrong before?" She asked and I shook my head and looked away. "Peter, listen to me. Call Nick. Tell him the truth! That guy cannot join the Avengers!"

"It's-It's worse than that, Kathy..." I sighed.

"What do you mean? What else is wrong?"

I quickly shook my head. "It's nothing. It's fine. I can fix this."

"Pete—"

"I'll talk to you later, I promise." I said and then hung up. "SH--!" I exclaimed.

"Peter?" I heard from behind me. In the doorway was MJ, I had left the door open. "You're Spiderman." She said, quietly, out of shock.

"W-What?! No-No, I'm not!"

"Yes, you are!" She said, her tone turning to one of panic. "That black suit in your bag is the same one as that Night Monkey guy that Betty was yapping about, you were talking about the Avengers, and you said that you were fighting with that guy! What-What did she mean it's all a projection? Does it have something to do with this?" She pulled out a strange piece of machinery from her bag. My eyebrows pinched together as I examined the object. It looked like it had been torn apart. I also felt some of my web residue on it. Then I remembered...

I shot a web at the Ferris wheel to launch myself closer to it, but instead I caught some strange invisible shape. "Whoa, what is that?!" When I swung it towards me, it flew behind me, out of my sight.

Suddenly, I was snapped out of my thoughts when the machine suddenly sparked to life and a projection showed.  It looked so real.  It would glitch every now and then, but I knew if there were more, it could create a pretty clear image.  I heard MJ talking, probably asking me something, but I fell into a whirlwind of panic as I realised the extent of my terrible mistake.  I realised that there was no way that I was getting out of this with MJ so in a spur of panic, I rushed out, "OKAYYEAHIAMSPIDERMAN!" MJ looked at me in shock and I took a deep breath before repeating. "I am Spider-Man... and I really messed up."

"Really? You're not joking?" I shook my head solemnly. "Because I was only like 67% sure." She said, her eyes wide and darting around wildly.

"MJ—"

"So why are you here? Why are you on this school trip?" She interrupted.

"MJ, look, I know you have a lot of questions.  But look, I have to get my suit on and go find Mysterio."  I told her and she nodded, breathing deeply.

"Okay, okay."  She said quietly before smirking proudly.  "I can't believe I figured it out!"  She squealed.

~*~

A/N: I'm so sorry that this one is so late and so short, but school hit me hard this week and I haven't had much time to write.  I also won't have much time this weekend, but I will try to get it out by Monday!  If not then, then Tuesday!  Thank you, my crazies!