10 // in which jen shoots hoops like a boss

An unexpected movie night is what's happening right now in my apartment.

          I literally didn't know that Layla, Tim, and Claire were coming until I saw each of their grinning faces on my doorstep, and then making themselves at home by walking right by me after shoving a few rented DVDs in my hands. I didn't bother asking them to get out despite the messy looking apartment, because I knew that it'd be no use.

          Joshua had been sleeping in his room—which used to be a guest room. But after hearing that we've got company and that we were going to watch a movie, he quickly jumped off of his bed and trudged towards the living room.

          Now, here we are, all of us chilling at the couch, watching White Chicks. I bring up my leg and rest it over Layla's long ones. No one's moving since we're all engrossed into the movie. For once, all of us in a room, it's extremely peaceful.

          "Okay, I'm bored."

          Or maybe not all of us.

          I hear Layla make a faint sound of displeasure as she turns to the victim. And we all imitate her, facing Claire. She smiles sheepishly, and defends, "What? I've seen this movie for over ten times. I know what's gonna happen next, and it doesn't seem that funny anymore."

          "Well, not everyone in this room watched it," Tim drawls, giving her a side glance. "Like me."

          He, Claire, and Joshua are seated on the couch while Layla and I are lounging on the carpet right below them. I'm not sure how Claire's feeling right now since she's sitting right in between the two guys, one being her ultimate crush. Joshua, as usual, doesn't show any emotions. However, it's a different case for Tim, who seems to be slightly annoyed.

          "Yeah, I'm in the mood for some horror so I'm with Claire," Joshua comments, shrugging.

          I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Yeah, no, we're not watching horror."

          Layla nudges my leg with her legs, and then grins. "Seems like a good idea actually. I think I'll go with horror as well."

          Sending her a glare, I press further, "No." She knows fully well how much I hate horror movies since I get scared easily. It's a disadvantage, really, since both Layla and Tim are a fan of horror films. They'd always urge me to watch it with them, and I'd always reject their offer.

          She juts out her bottom lip, pouting. "Please?"

          "No. I bet Claire also doesn't want to."

          "Jen's right. I don't."

          "Claire, don't make me tell everyone about your—"

          "No, shh!"

          "Then?"

          Joshua sighs, getting up. "I'm going to bed."

          Claire immediately grabs his arm, and holds him still. He looks down at her with eyebrows raised, skeptical, and she stares back at him with an innocent expression. "Stay. We're not gonna watch a movie. We'll play a game."

          "What kind of game?" Tim questions.

          Claire purses her lips. "Truth or dare."

          My eyebrows shot up in surprise. Really? Claire wants us to play truth or dare? What are we, in high school? But anyway, I'm going to go with it. Anything to get rid of the chance of watching a horror movie with them. "Yeah, okay. That's cool."