"Very well then, before you go, tell Grace to dig out a nice dress, I'm taking her to the races." Lucie felt something pull at her insides, forcing her stomach into a knot and her heart to fall from her chest.

"Course Mr. Shelby." Lucie didn't want to even call him Thomas. She was so angry.  Yet she had no right. She wasn't with Thomas, he could do as he pleased. Although Lucie didn't know that taking Grace was all part of the elaborate plan.

"You on lock up tonight?"

"Yes Mr. Shelby, but I'm sure Grace will be up for the job if you'd prefer." Lucie words were some what spiteful, however Tommy just chuckled.

"No, no. I'll see you later if I can."

"Won't be keeping my hopes up, sir, not like last time." With that, Lucie left. She didn't make a snide remark towards Grace who was looming in a corner close by the back door. Lucie decided against making a snide remark, instead she merely told her what Tommy asked.

"Dig our a nice dress Grace, Mr. Shelby would like to take you to the races. I'd say red, it'd suit you." Lucie just carried on walking past the girl and made her way behind the bar, to carry on serving the waiting men.

"I'll be leaving Lucie, you fine to lock up?" Grace inquired.

"As always Grace, you go find your nice dress, eh?" Lucie wanted the words to sound hurtful. However they didn't, they sounded genuine.

"I'll cover one of your shifts, if you cover mine the day of the races?" Grace asked, pulling her coat around her frame.

"Yeah, of course." Lucie was too tired to try and argue with Grace. So she just agreed.

Lucie was sweeping the floor when The Garrison doors opened. Revealing a soaking and angry Tommy.

"Sorry to disappoint Mr. Shelby, but Grace ain't here." Lucie shouted to him. She was still not happy with Tommy, why couldn't he take her to the races instead?

"Lucie, I'm taking her because it's part of my plan, alright."

"Whatever Mr. Shelby, how's the horse with no name eh?" Lucie questioned, walking towards Thomas with a glass of Irish whiskey.

The pair sat in the snug, with the pub doors locked so no drunk bozo could come waltzing in. Tommy downed his whiskey before answering.

"I just put a bullet in his head." Tommy lent back on his chair, awaiting Lucie's reply.

"Was he lame?" She asked. Trying to hold back her disbelief.

"He looked at me the wrong way, no one looks at Thomas Shelby the wrong way." Lucie thought nothing less.

"What a waste."

"Yeah. A waste is what it was."

Silence. Lucie didn't know what to say, so she just watched Tommy pour himself a fourth glass and down it once more.

"You know in France." Tommy paused, he's breathing laboured and heavy. Lucie watched intently, she always liked hearing about the war for some odd reason. She liked knowing the experiences her brothers went through.

"In France, I got used to seeing men die. Never got used to seeing horses die. They die badly."

Lucie felt sorrow for the man sat in front of her, she knew he felt pain that she could never experience or have common ground on.

"Told Grace to dig out a dress as you asked."

"I'll have no talk of her now." Tommy offered Lucie a cigarette, which she accepted.

Tommy lit a match and lit Lucie's cigarette for her before he set his own alight. Lucie obliged by Tommy's, 'No Grace Talk.' rule, although she was curious about the races.

"It's Cheltenham you're on about, grand affair, is it not?"

"The King will be there."

"Oh Mr. Shelby don't tell me you're trying to bring down Kimber. It just won't work."

"It will Luce, and Grace is all part of the plan, just you wait and see."

Tommy's words lighten Lucie's mood just a little, making her feel less anger towards him. She smiled. Something she hadn't done since yesterday morning. Yesterday morning when she woke up in Tommy's arms.

"Right, Lucie, I remember coming in to my pub to see you singing on this very table. What do you sing?"

"Anything you like."

"Right then." Tommy bashed his hand against the table, rattling the whiskey bottle and the glass that sat upon it. "Up you get, Luce."

Lucie moved the bottle and glass then clambered on to the table where her and Thomas were sat at. She stood facing the man who smoked as he looked up at her.

"Happy or Sad?"

Oh how she hoped he would say happy.

"Sad."

Oh just bloody brilliant, was all Lucie could think.

"Okay." Lucie has registered the pain in Tommy's voice.

"But I warn you, I'll break your heart."

"Already broken."

So she sang for him. A lullaby she sang not days before to his younger brother. Tommy's head fell when Lucie sang. Her angelic voice sending him to sleep.

Lucie jumped off the table, and kissed the gangsters head.

"Goodnight, Thomas Shelby. What the fuck are you doing to my heart, eh?"

Lucie was sat next to Tommy, her head resting on her folded arms. She dreamt of his bright blue eyes.