Chapter 26+1: August 17

Tuesday 17th August

Life has been hard this past month; I've dealt with the most intriguing people, the most thrilling case of my entire career and a roller-coaster of a friendship with the most unique boy I have ever met.

Kaito and Maki have thankfully returned home safely. Strangely enough, they don't remember a thing about the whole ordeal and don't recall seeing anything about Kyoko, even on the news. I suppose that's a good thing, at least they aren't hurt. DICE have replaced their phones and damaged possessions, upon our agreements for their freedom, and are focusing on raising their child now.

Kaede has agreed to see a therapist for her trauma. She doesn't know Emiko is alive, and I have no plans of telling her. She needs to get over her, I suppose. I do feel bad for keeping such a huge secret from her but if I want everyone in DICE to have a shot at a normal life this is how it has to go. She doesn't remember a thing either, but it's for the best. I promise to not let anyone take advantage of her like that again.

Kyoko is still in hospital trying to recover. She's strong, she'll be better in no time. I believe in her. My uncle will no doubt continue trying to find out what happened to her, but I doubt that'll happen. I sympathise with him but just like him, I have people I need to protect. I have the biggest secret to keep.

Minerva hasn't been arrested, neither have anyone else in DICE. I let them off, it would get out that the missing children were alive if I didn't. Instead, she and the others have been given 240 hours of community service to complete. Kokichi included (I had to make it fair). Then they'll be doing some good, haha. She's seeing a therapist too; in the end she was just a hostage who wanted release, despite how terrible her actions were. I won't put anyone through even more torture.

And Kokichi and I? I don't know what life may hold for us, but that's what makes it the most exciting. See, it's impossible to tell what'll happen. You can't plan your life out to a T, and that's what this whole experience has taught me.

All I can do is enjoy life while it lasts. Embrace the happiness when it comes, appreciate my friends and my family and make the most of every day. Pain is only temporary and it's possible to move forwards. I learned that first hand. It's been a journey, a really difficult one, but I made it out alive and I'm happy to spend the rest of my life by Kokichi's side, not that we're together or anything (we'll just have to see how it goes, we're still patching things up).

Nothing is official yet, but that's alright. He wants to focus on bettering himself first and deal with getting his life on track before getting into a relationship. I'm proud of him. Still, even if it takes a while, I'll wait. That's what he wants too.

Forgetting the past doesn't help us move forwards or grow stronger. It's an important part of us that makes us who we are. That's why I can't forget this experience or the people I've met. The pain of loss and regret and self-doubt, it doesn't matter. What matters is that we are alive. We learn and grow. Our mistakes are what make us human, they're what help us mature and better ourselves. We can't forget something like this, we have to remember. We have to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

What is going to happen now? Who knows. I'm looking forward to everything life has to offer. More cases to work on, places to go and things to see. And I want to do them all with the people who mean the world to me.

Today, exactly a month ago, my life was about to end.

But today it has begun, and I swear I am going to make the most out of it.

No grudges, no lies, no regrets. So now I can be sure the curtain has been closed.

The curtain of deceit.