Chapter 4: Adapting to a new world

A friend talked to Adrian when a blond and refined woman passed by, smiling at him after closing some business with his father.

"See you later." She winked and left.

He smiled, also looking back at what he was doing, but his friend had noticed it.

"What a miracle, isn't she eight years older than you?"

"Nothing happens."

"Nothing? She said she liked your eyes last time."

Someone cleared his throat, and Adrian turned. His father watched all. An employee came to tell him something, but the man had already shown a slightly malicious smile of satisfaction. That was not good.

Adrian woke up after having that kind of memory inside his dreams. He found DOPy, who apparently measured his body temperature without even touching him, just by being close. The boy observed that the numbers appeared in Fahrenheit in its belly, and the device seemed to be a floating chicken. He even noticed that it had two small black eyes that simulated blinking from time to time. With triangular wings and a belly, that was a white chicken ship.

He felt his stomach burn and complained. DOPy displayed its screen and showed the food he could order to the other machine in the kitchen. Adrian tried to catch it, but the drone dodged and flew away. 

The boy sat down with difficulty, feeling slight dizziness again and the carpeted floor under his feet. He realized that the women were there and turned around. Kariba and Clara were sitting on the other couch, muttering things like if he wasn't dangerous and so on.

The front door opened, letting in an exhausted Teresa, surprised to see her friend there but more to see Adrian awake.

"Did he already eat?" she asked right away. "Did you eat?"

The three of them denied moving their heads.

"I don't know if you plan on having him in the same clothes," Clara said. "So I thought you should take him to get more."

"Don't you remember that you have cut his hair, and now he looks weirder?"

"Oh, I said they wouldn't notice it."

"Not those of PW."

After listening to the leader's speech, Teresa knew that PW's guardians had men as real evil beings.

"Oh." Clara thought better. She had not stopped to meditate on how complicated their situation was. She just concentrated on wanting to take care of the rare specimen. "Well, avoid them."

"Do you insinuate that I'll take him out?" Teresa asked, offended.

"I offer myself," Kariba said, suddenly feeling excited.

A slight annoyance appeared in Teresa's stomach; she would have sworn it was like jealousy if her brain had not shouted a resounding 'no' to that. Kariba hadn't wanted to keep him, so she didn't have to want to take him out like that.

"No, we both go. He can be dangerous."

"Excuse me?" Adrian complained.

His voice shook her. Teresa still didn't get used to it. She looked at him, annoyed, and he returned the gesture.

"Don't pretend you don't know it; you, men, were always troublesome."

He frowned more and stood up. The girl was scared by his height, but she didn't allow herself to show it, even though, out of fear, she didn't even remember if they really smelled fear or not.

"Enough. Stop referring to me as if I were not a person."

"People are us. You are a fossil."

Her mother dared to get between them and separate them.