sixteen. waindale academy

"Are you ready for your first day at Waindale Academy, dear?" Grandma asks as I enter the kitchen in my spiffy new uniform. I sit down at the table and she places a plate in front of me. "What would you like? Something special for your first day?"

"I can't eat. I feel sick," I tell her. "If I eat, I may just vomit."

"What? What's wrong? Did you catch the flu? Maybe you shouldn't go to school today, Wrenley, not if you're going to be sick."

"No, no," I mutter. "I have to go. I just can't eat. The thought of it makes my stomach hurt."

Grandma sighs. "Oh, goodness. Will you bring something with you? There are granola bars in the pantry." I nod and she fetches them. I lift my backpack to my lap and stuff them inside, knowing that I'll forget they're there anyway.

"Where's mom?" I ask. Usually she's up by now.

"Oh, she must be asleep still. Do you want me to wake her up to see you off?"

I shake my head. "It's fine. I have to get going anyway."

I can't leave before Grandma hands me an umbrella and wishes me well. On my way to the street, I can't help but think about my mom. Did she sleep-in on purpose? Does my going to Waindale Academy bother her that much? To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm even going there today, not after what happened last night when Adam scared me to death. The thought of seeing him, well, makes me want to vomit.

I can't go back to the high school, though. I've been transferred. I'm no longer a student there. I've been uniformed and sent off to the big leagues where I'll surely drown. Most of the students there are werewolves as Adam said; I'm going to be surrounded by them nearly every day. What am I thinking? This is the worst idea I have ever gone through with, and I once took my fish out of his bowl to watch a movie together. Mind you, I was very young, but at the moment I don't feel much wiser than I was back then.

When I come up to the Academy, I feel my palms getting clammy. It's like the first day of school all over again, except this time the school is filled with monsters who wear polo shirts and learn to play tennis.

"Wren! Over here!"

Looking at the parking lot, I catch glimpses of Vivianne and Imogen as they weave through cars. Soon enough the two are in front of me, breathing heavy but bright-eyed.

"Where's Eli?" I ask.

"Oh, he's having a bit of a rough time. Having to leave Elara at the high school while he comes back here is causes some problems between them. I think she's pretty upset," Vivianne explains.

"She knew what she was getting into," Imogen says, less forgiving than Vivianne. "I mean, the guy has a mate out there somewhere. They were going to split eventually."

Vivianne rolls her eyes. "No one said that they're going to break up."

"Oh, well, that's sad. Maybe Eli can stay at the high school with her?"

Vivianne eyes me. "Adam ordered us back here. I mean, unless you want to change his mind. You're the only one that could."

I swallow and begin walking toward the main doors. The girls follow suit. "What? Something happen?" Vivianne asks.

"No," I mutter.

"So you're fine if we go see Adam right now? We're supposed to bring you to the dean's office. Adam will be there."

I immediately halt. The two girls look back at me. "I can't," I tell them. "Fine, you win, something happened. Whatever. I just can't see him."

"Well," Vivianne urges me to continue with the story.