Chapter 3-Eat or Die

3.Eat or Die

When I woke the next morning or at least I assumed it was morning, my back ached and I was still exhausted. I stretched before peering around my cage, starting at the front and working to the back. It wasn’t a huge cage, but its width was about a yard and the length was about eight feet. At one end sat two small bowls, which one held water and the other was empty; so I assumed it held food. The end where I sat was held a teeny tiny rug and I had used as a blanket instead of sleeping on it. The bars were about a half a foot apart from another and went all around, while they also rose to the ceiling. Only a few bars on the two skinny ends opened up as a doorway, allowing them to throw me in here and I guess later to release me. Lastly, there was a solidary light bulb right above me, but it barely shone at all and it ended up giving a dismal environment instead.

After I had explored my cage, I glanced around at the nearby cages. To the right was Robby, who now had his tail on his head. The left cage though held a girl with a tail too; but surprisingly she didn’t have any legs, just the tail from her waist down. She was covered mostly in dark green scales that appeared painful, while her eyes were of yellow tint and the shape of diamonds sideways. I stared sadly at her as the thought, ‘Snake girl,’ popped through my head and it soon came too much for me to look at; so I turned away, trying to ignore her.

I scratched my itchy back, which felt weird from the fur. I rubbed it for another minute before searching my body head to toe for any sort of changing, but I didn’t discover anything new or strange. I sighed inwardly as I leaned against the metal bars, bored out of my mind. I kept thinking about my family, Tom, and the other students. I wondered what was happening to them and if they were doing fine or what, but these questions didn’t have immediate answers.

A couple hours later of just sitting around doing nothing, a man appeared with a squeaky metal cart that held many a thing with a wonderful aroma. He stopped at the snake girl’s cage and placed some food into her cage before he halted before mine. He dug around on the cart and pulled out a huge raw steak; then he stuck it in the empty bowl in my cage before heading toward Robby’s cage. I stared at the meat for a minute before peering at the man and inquiring, “Am I supposed to eat this?”

The man barely glanced back at me as he evilly laughed, “If you want to live!”

I shut up real quick and peeked at Robby, who was eating his slice with delight. He had blood dripping down his chin as he said, “Eat it.”

I looked at it sadly, but I reluctantly tried because it was clear that I wasn’t going to get anything else. The steak had a rubber texture, but ended up being surprisingly good. My teeth tore at it perfectly, just like it was soft bread; then as I took another bite, I remembered the only place I hadn’t thought to check. I placed the steak in the bowl and fingered my teeth lightly, finding them all sharp and many more were pointed. I groaned with tears in my eyes as I finished my delicious meal; then I became drowsy. I laid down on the rug and fell right asleep.

 Author's note-

I have written this story once before and this is now a revision. This chapter has a huge change, especially the size of the cage. I decided it needed to be smaller plus i gave more details about the cage.

Let's see who is willing to look into the first version of this story and see the difference in size.

If you know the answer, post it in the comments. First person to get it right will have the first chapter dedication.

Don't forget to vote.