Chapter Twenty Eight

<Kieran's POV>

"Why the fuck are you calling me at 3am?"

"Why the fuck are you up at 3am?" Was the immediate response.

I flushed.

I was thinking of you.

Lukas took my silence for annoyance and hurriedly rushed his point.

"Couldn't sleep" He confessed, followed by a yawn.

Are you thinking of me?

I shuffled around in bed, propping myself up so I wouldn't drop my phone onto my face. The light through the windows filtered yellow from the random streetlamp by my driveway. I couldn't see anything except my hands when I brought the phone down and back up again, waiting for a reply from Lukas.

"Everything alright?" I ventured, never having been the type to console people or talk about emotions. I fidgeted with my sheets, the quiet making me antsy.

"Yeah, just nervous about college stuff"

Oh right.

"Oh, um, if you want you can come over tomorrow. Mum's making soda bread... or trying to make soda bread. She can show you the recipe. I know you like baking and stuff so... maybe it'll help you relax? I really like soda bread too. Mum calls them scones though, not sure why—"

I didn't realize I was ranting until Lukas cut me off.

"—Kieran" He hesitated, "I have a lot of packing to do—"

I got the gist of what he was saying immediately. My eyes widened, mouth twisting in embarrassment as I tried to keep my voice level.

"—Yeah! Yeah, I get it. Don't worry about it"

"I'll see you before I leave, yeah?"

"Yup. Okay." I breathed.

"Alright, see you"

I could hear Lukas' smile through the phone.

"Goodnight" I forced out.

"Lo—"

I hung up, feeling incredibly flustered and embarrassed all at once. I bit my lips hard, hands fidgeting as I scrunched up my sheets until my legs showed. I wasn't a clingy person.

I was not.

Even with my past girlfriends it had always been them who broke it off with me since I wasn't into them nearly as much as they wanted me to be. Yet, here I was, into Lukas. I liked him. I wanted to be with him 24/7. I was, suddenly, clingy as all hell.

He's busy.

My phone pinged with a text and I hastily grabbed it, becoming more upset with the passing minute. I couldn't understand why. I didn't care that Lukas was busy. Hell, I was supposed to be busy too.

Why?

I scratched at my hands.

From: Lukas Skywalker
Goodnight Keke <3

Suddenly, I'd never felt lonelier.

________________________________

It was hot again, and I couldn't feel my legs.

My nails had stopped bleeding a little while ago, dried blood cracking on my finger tips. My knees, already permanently bruised year round, had little trails soaking into my socks. I sat underneath the minimal shade of the hoop, pulling out my kit from my bag. I had, thankfully, remembered to bring an inflated ball this time around, but my water was slowly running out.