Chapter Nine

Hi guys! Before I start the chapter, I wanted to dedicate this chapter to:

evepetal

Evepetal was kind enough to accept my request for a cover and I am so excited! Please go check out her work, it is gorgeous <3

And as always, thank you all for reading!
___________________________
<Kieran's POV>

By Monday the whole school knew about DJ and Marco. At first, Roger had I assumed I was the snitch, but regardless of their sudden sexual preference, DJ and Marco had been my friends. I wasn't a snitch. No matter how fucked up I thought they were, I wouldn't snitch. I had pointedly ignored all four of them until Wednesday, which was fairly simple since they weren't really in my classes. On Wednesday I slipped up and said hi to Roger.

Determined to avoid them all all cost, during lunch I sat with the football players.

Nobody questioned anything.

It wasn't that bad, really, but by Friday I was missing Lukas.

I had started to jog again, one of the only beneficial pastimes I had developed. It was the off-season of basketball, and spring was fast approaching. The weather was cool enough to chill my sweat, but not cold enough to make me sick. The weather worked in my favor. But I hated jogging alone.

I had desperately wanted to go to the basketball court, but I knew that they would all be there. Sure, I wanted to see Lukas, but at the risk of seeing Marcus and DJ? No, thank you. Roger was a weird gray area for me. He was acting fucking weird of late, and I would be surprised if he was a bit faggy as well.

Presuming faggy is a word.

Besides. Lukas had chosen them over me.

"Honey, could you help me with something?"

I wiped my face with my shirt, seeing my mum frantically waving at me from our driveway. She had her dark hair pushed back with a banana colored bandana, a baggy pair of overalls and a grease stained T-shirt on. The shirt looked suspiciously like my dad's, but I pushed aside any distaste and jogged to her.

I tucked my earbuds away into the pockets of my shorts.

"Hey mum"

"Hi sweetie, could you help me with this?"

She gestured towards her mom-van helplessly. A small embarrassed smile blessed her face as I laughed.

"Yeah, I'll look at it. Go ahead and clean up, I shouldn't take too long." She beamed and hugged me tight before kissing the top of my head.

I waved her off into the house before tugging my shirt over my head, the sweat on my skin clinging to my body. I uncomfortably pulled at the material before looking at the engine. I propped my body up against the hood of the van, looking at all the parts like they were the guts of an alien.

Shit.

Oil changes I could manage. Flat tires? No problem.

Engine trouble?

There was only one person I knew who could fix it.