I.II

"The healing arts?"

Indigo's mother nods. "Yes, dear. You know you're now of age to possess such knowledge." Her once hopeful smile, which reveals a glimpse of her four sharp fangs, soon sheds its layers and turns into a frown. "You don't want to learn?" she asks Indigo.

Indigo bites his lip. He glances downward, to the bowl of soup where carrots have begun to sink inside the brew. "I do, mother," he says. "I do, but...hasn't Gran been a little tired lately? I wouldn't want to—"

"Nonsense!" Indigo's father interjects as he tears a slice of bread apart between his teeth from across the dinner table. "Your Gran's fine! She's the greatest healer in town! Tell you what..." He rises from his seat, then kisses his wife's forehead before winking at Indigo and saying, "I'll let you finish up your lady business with your mother over here, and, once you're done, why don't you come see me in my office so we can have a chat about what time I'll take you over to Gran's tomorrow?" He waves a finger and laughs. "Don't try to fool me, young lady. I know how motivated you were to learn the arts back when you were younger. It's nice to see you care about your elders, but remember to think of your future too!"

Indigo swallows the sour taste left against his tongue by his father's words. He nods, and his lips purse into a reluctant grin. "Thank you, Father." As he turns his mother's way, he asks her, "What exactly did Father mean by lady business?"

"Oh." Indigo's mother chuckles. She motions for him to come forth and cups her hand around his pointed ear. "I think we might have found you a husband, Indigo, and a proper young man at that!"

Her whispered words cause time to freeze for Indigo, who tries to gulp again, only to find that his mouth has gone completely dry. The path he so dearly yearns to avoid, the years of nightmares after nightmares getting worse with each of his passing birthdays—they are all coming true right at this very minute. Except this time, I can't open my eyes, he thinks as he forces his smile to stay upright, his tears to never show, and the words, "Is that so?" out of his mouth.

Indigo's mother nods again, with a little more enthusiasm than before. "He's a little older than you. Currently, he's busy finishing his last year at the Academy... But! I had a nice chat with his parents, and I believe it would be beneficial to the both of you. Not to mention he'll be moving south once he's done with his studies."

"Mom." Indigo frowns. He hides his shaking fists beneath the table, watches his mother bite her lip and avert her gaze. "You know I can't do that. What about you? What about Lydia, and Dad? I can't just leave you behind!"

Her hand comes to rest around Indigo's shoulder. She pulls him in from the side for a hug. "We'll be fine, darling," she whispers. "Humans don't usually target the elderly, or our young. But you..." There is a pause in the air, enough to hear Lydia's laughter from the room above, the drunk villagers passing by outside. "You're almost eighteen now, and word has reached their ears that this is when we start to be more aware of our abilities. I won't force you to leave, Indigo. I can't. But, please, at least consider it? I wouldn't want those men to get hold of you. I wouldn't want..." Her lips move, yet no sound follows.

Indigo knows what she wants to say, can only imagine the things that might have run through her mind a few seconds ago. Him being torn to pieces, forced into slavery, his organs being used in sick experiments to create hybrids between Fendriak and man—the ultimate super-human, as they called it in their campaigns.

Her grip tightens around his shoulder.

"I know, Mom, I know," he mutters. "It's okay. I'll meet this man." Even if I can fend for myself, are the words he holds himself back from saying, for the last ones spoken in their kitchen that night are, "Thank you, Mom. I appreciate your concern."

Indigo pulls away from his mother's embrace and the table that has been with him since his earliest memories. He rises to his feet; his socks creak against the ancient floorboards. It is only now that he notices he's barely touched his soup. But his hunger has long faded, and soon, Indigo walks out to join his father in his study.

***

Hello, fellow reader!
If you're enjoying this novel, be sure to like it and comment!

And if you want to support MOONLIGHT, along with my authorly endeavours, please check out my Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/beauvandalen

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you have an awesome day! 🙏✨