-What Are You Hiding?-

Maya's POV

"Come on Maya! A tiny cave can't hurt anyone!" We had waited in the depths of the forest for 24 hours now. Everyone stayed in cabins, goofing around with each other as we waited for the flood to stop. "NO! It's sooo dark and I don't wanna go in that nasty cave!" I screamed as Laila tried to pull me into the cave, but I fought against her. "Please! Sara would do it if she was here." Laila begged. "But she's not here, she's in the cabins, and I'm not her at all!" I exclaimed, desperate to not go inside the deep, dark cave. "Come on! We might never be able to go in the cave in our high school years!" Laila said, pulling me harder, but I still fought back. Finally, she pulled a final yank, dragging me into the entrance of the cave. "Nooooooo!" I sobbed, as Laila pulled me farther into the cave.

Then, I Knew Coming
In Here Was NOT A
Bad Idea.

There were many beds lined with a tiny refrigerator and more cool stuff. But there was something very abnormal about the place.

There were 5 girls with animal features sitting on the ground in a circle in the middle of the room. 4 of them, I recognized. They were my classmates, my friends.

And then they saw me.

I caught Katelyn staring at me, wide eyed, as she muttered something to Funneh, Lunar, Lucinda, and some pink girl with a tiny, silver crown on her head in between her wolf ears.

"What are you doing here?" The pink haired girl stood up, staring at us, confidently. "Uhhh, we just wanted to look at a cave. We didn't know y'all were gonna be in here!" Laila defended us. "You mean YOU wanted to look at a cave. Not me! And how do you guys explain those weird ears and tails y'all have?!? Are those some kind of costumes?!" I questioned, waiting for an answer. "Their real." The pink haired lady said. "Rainbow, they weren't supposed to know this stuff until Spring!" Lunar exclaimed, looking at the pink haired girl who must be Rainbow.

"That doesn't matter if they don't have the side effects. Let's just brush this whole event off and continue with our meeting." Rainbow sat down on her knees again, her light blue dress flowing around her. "Side effects?!? Of what?" Laila asked, confused. I was almost as puzzled as she was. "That doesn't matter now. Who didn't put the boulder down anyways? The boulder should be there at all times so Freshman, like these two, don't get in!" Rainbow looked at the other girls, all of them looking down.

"Ugh. Whatever! Laila, Maya, can you please leave us for a moment. Your friends will come join you in the cabins soon." Rainbow said. "Without answers?!? No way!" Laila exclaimed. "And how do you know our names?" I asked Rainbow. She glanced over at Funneh and Lunar who nodded to her. "Rainbow is our sister. She also likes to take notes on who people are in the new Freshman bunches each year, so that can help her on her quest." Lunar replied.

"What quest?" I asked. "It will all be revealed soon. Now just enjoy your time in nature! This might be one of your last chances to enjoy it." Rainbow smiled as she walked over to us, and walked us out of the cave. "I'll see you soon!" She said, a boulder crashing down behind us. "How did she do that?" I asked Laila, who was pretty surprised at the little show. "I dunno. I guess we'll find out sooner or later."

Sara's POV

I laid down on the soft grass, my stomach on the ground and my eyes on the trees. My feet bounced back and forth, up and down, as I thought about the next few weeks. In just 3 weeks, it would be Fall Break. Fall Break in middle school was always in late November, just like Hybrid High School.

But I wasn't going home.

I wasn't going to see that old man again. The man I called a father for 3 years, since I was only 11. He kept so many secrets from me, it got unbearable. He wouldn't tell me anything! Like how he got me, or what happened when his study caught fire. I knew he was the one who set it on fire. He was keeping a book from me. The book I tried to grab as I chased him around when I was 12. He always told me he would tell me when I got into High School, but obviously, that never happened. That one book, survived, though. I remember he ran off with it and left me at the house to call the firefighters when the fire happened.

I've still been trying to find it to this day. But I've never came across it yet. I've searched many times during the night in the town. Luckily, Lunar and Lucinda have never caught me sneaking out of our dorm. I guess I just have to wait for answers.

"SARA!"

I recognized those voices. My best friends. "Laila! Maya!" I got up and enclosed them in a hug. "Where have you been?" I asked them, hoping they would tell me something. "A cave. And we got the name of that pink haired girl you mentioned to us!" Maya said, excitedly. "Her name is Rainbow, and she's Funneh and Lunar's sister." Laila said. "All three are wolves! And Katelyn and Lucinda are cats!" They both screamed, a bit too loud, as if the whole world was listening. Some people chilling around us just stared, wondering what crazy stuff we were talking about. "I knew it... they are animals." I implied.

"I Wonder If We Are, Too."