1.4: Christmas Eve Pt. 2

Duff's P.O.V

I look at the beautiful girl that's sitting on my lap. She has a bottle of vodka in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. I honestly, had no idea she smoked. Good to know I don't need to hide my cancer sticks around her.

She smiles at something Madeline says, then replies back to her. I can't even tell that any words are coming out of their mouths. I'm so focused on Henley. She's the most gorgeous girl I've ever laid eyes on.

And to think, I wouldn't have met her if I hadn't made Stevie sit at that table. I'd seen Henley around before, but I was too chicken to go say hi. Just the thought made my chest feel like it was going to collapse.

I knew that the only way I'd have the guts to talk to her was if I'd stole their table. I know it's a real stupid reasoning, but it was the only thing I could come up with. Steven offered to go talk to her for me multiple times but a.) we're not in high school and b.) he'd probably just say something really embarrassing and scare her off.

I honestly thought he scared her off when he went to talk to them. I'll admit, I felt like fainting when she finally looked at me. I couldn't believe that a gorgeous girl like her was going to talk to me. At first, she seemed distant and cold. That immediately changed after the fight between me and that "Hyde" guy.

I don't like that guy. Henley said that he's been hanging around her and Madeline a lot recently. I don't like it one bit. She said that the only reason Madeline is okay with it is because he gives them free weed.

I wish I could be around her to protect her at all hours of the day. But, the fact that she's still in high school puts a huge dent in that plan. God, I sound like a wuss, but I can't help it.

I think I'm falling in love with her. I can't ever imagine being with someone else.

Well there's only one thing wrong with that statement. We aren't a couple. I haven't had the balls to ask her out.

That's going to change tonight, I can guarantee that.

The box feels as if it's growing heavy in my pocket. Almost like it's made of lead. I feel my heart race with anticipation. I want to give it to her so badly!

"DUFF!" Steven screams at me, almost making me push Henley off my lap in shock.

She instantly wraps her arms around my neck tightly, pulling her body flush against mine. I wrap my arms around her waist and chuckle nervously.

"Sorry," I mutter, feeling my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. I turn my head to Steven who has a smartass smile on his face. "What?"

"I was just saying, I think it's time to give out the gifts," Steven replies, his eyes glancing down to my pocket.

I knew I shouldn't have told him my plan. He's going to give it away!

"Wait," Henley says, her eyes widening. "I didn't know we were doing gifts! I left y'all's at home!"

"It's okay, sweetheart," I say in her ear, only loud enough for her to hear.

"No it's not," She pouts, turning her head to look at me. "I was just going to bring it over tomorrow."

"You can still bring it over tomorrow," I chuckle, placing a small kiss on her neck. "I don't think we have anything planned for tomorrow." I take a moment to think through my words. "Well, I'm not going anywhere. I think Steven was going to meet Madeline's parents."

"What?" Henley asks, clearly shocked. "I didn't know they were that serious."

I shrug, looking over at the couple that's in the same position Henley and I are in. "I didn't either, but the more I look at them, the more I can see that they're wild about each other."

"I have a feeling her parents and Jake aren't going to like that he's eighteen," Henley says, furrowing her eyebrows in that cute way she does when she's thinking.

"I'm sure they'll love him. It's hard not to love Stevie," I say. "He's one easy guy to get along with."

Henley smiles. "You guys are definitely best friends."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You just. . .I don't know. It just reminds me of my best friends back in LA."

I gasp, feigning shock. "You had friends?" Henley looks at me, unamused. She punches my shoulder rather hard, making me laugh. "I'm sorry!" I laugh. She doesn't say anything. She just sits there with an adorable pout on her face. "Tell me about your best friends."

She looks back at me with surprise. I guess no one's ever asked her that. "Well, they were actually brother and sister."

"Like Madeline and Jake?" I ask.

She nods. "Only they weren't twins. He was two years older than us. Anyways, they're the first friends I made in LA. I was constantly over at their house. I practically lived there. I was heartbroken when he turned eighteen and moved out. I didn't get to see him as much. . ," She trails off. "And I kinda had a crush on him." My heart drops. Does she still like him? "But I still hung out with his sister all the time. I thought it was the end of the world when I left Los Angeles. She calls me at least five times every few days and he calls every week on Saturday."

"Sounds like you really love them," I say, sounding a bit put out.

She nods. "I do, but I really love Madeline too." She pauses, looking at Steven trying to play the drums. We haven't even opened the alcohol yet. He's just like that sober. "And I guess Steven too."

I smile, nudging her a little. That's difficult because she's sitting in my lap. "What about me?"

She smirks. "Oh, I don't love you."

My mouth drops open. I pretend to be really hurt and fall back onto the couch. "You've hurt me deeply, Henley!"

She laughs, cupping my face in her hands. "I'm kidding." She leans in and quickly pecks my lips. Butterflies erupt in my stomach. Now's the time.

I stand up with her in my arms. She squeals in surprise, but doesn't protest. She just wraps her arms around my neck to keep her from falling.

I take Henley to my room. I place her down on the mattress on the floor. I watch her eyes look around my room, until they land on me. She smiles sheepishly, running her hand over the fabric of the blanket I have thrown on my bed.

"So, what are we doing in here?" She asks.

I pull out the box without saying a word. I hand it to her with a smile on my face. "Merry Christmas."

She opens it, an excited look in her eyes. Her smile widens as she sees what's inside. There's two necklaces. One's a padlock necklace, the other has a key on it.

"Duff," She says. Her voice makes it sound like she's about to cry. She stands up and wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me into a hug. I wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her as close to me as possible. "Thank you," She breathes into my ear.

Henley pulls away, taking the padlock necklace out of the box. She unclasps it and puts it around my neck. When she fastens it, she puts her own necklace around her neck.

I grin at her. "There's one more thing, only it's a question."

"Which is?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I feel like my heart is about to burst out of my chest.

"Yes!" She squeals, jumping into my arms.

I laugh, pulling away from our odd hug. I pull her face in and kiss her as deeply as I know how.

God, I'm definitely in love with her.