0.6: Late Night Conversations

Henley's P.O.V

It's about an hour later after me and Duff had the conversation in the bathroom. Duff ordered the Chinese food so now we're eating it and watching some stupid movie on TV. I sigh, looking at the clock. It's only one in the morning. Fuck, how am I gonna make it home before my parents notice I'm gone? There's only one obvious answer. I can't. Unless I know for a fact that Hyde won't rat me out for being a minor in a bar, I'm stuck here with the blonde I barely know.

And where the hell is Madeline?

"What's goin' through your head?" Duff asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

I look over at him, then back down at my container of sweet n' sour chicken. "How do you know I'm thinking anything? I could just be enjoying my food."

Duff laughs, setting his container on the coffee table. "You have to be thinking of something. I doubt you're just sitting there not having one thought. That's, like, impossible."

I sigh, laughing a bit. He had me there. "You got me." I set my container on the table as well, losing my appetite almost completely. "I-uh-was just thinking about how I'm going to get home before my parents notice that I'm missing. They'll go bonkers if I'm not in my bed in the morning."

"You could just call them and tell them Madeline had an emergency so the both of you went to her place."

I smile at him. He has this hopeful look in his eyes as if he really wants to help. God he's so adorable.

I mentally groan at that thought. I just met the dude! Get that shit out of your head.

"You came up with that pretty quick."

He smiles, puffing out his chest. "I am the king of excuses," He says proudly.

I giggle, rolling my eyes. Damn, I haven't laughed and smiled this much since before Tommy left. "I'll call you up next time I need help with that."

"So, you still live with your parents, huh?"

"What do you mean still? I am only sixteen, y'know?" Did he seriously forget I told him how old I was not even a few hours ago.

Duff's eyes widen. "There's no fucking way."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"I just mean, you act older. I would've thought you were at least eighteen," He explains, taking a swig from the beer that was sitting on the table.

I really hope that's a new one and not a bottle that has just been sitting there for days. It's obvious he doesn't clean often. I cringe watching him drink it.

"What?" He asks. He looks genuinely confused as to why I was looking at him like I am.

I almost laugh at his look. I, however, manage to keep a straight face. "Please tell me it's a new bottle."

Duff looks down at his drink, laughing as he fully processes my statement. "Oh my God, Henley. You're seriously worrying about how old my drink is?"

I shrug, looking down. I feel my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

Duff's laughter dies down after I stay quiet for a while. I know it's stupid to feel embarrassed like I am, but I can't help it. I don't like it when people laugh at me.

"Henley," Duff says, his laughter still working it's way out of his system. I don't say anything. "Hey," Duff says, his voice quiet and soft. I look up at him, shocked at how his voice changed in a second. "Did I say something wrong?"