Pedagogical Literature Review

Beginne am Anfang

Special Education for Latino Students in the United States: A Metaphor for What Is Wrong

Richard  A. Figueroa

Bilingual Review / La Revista Bilingue Vol. 24 No. 112 Helping Individuals with Disabilities and Their Families

Mexican and US Perspectives Clawary August 1999 pp. 147-159

            The article cites Leonard Baca – a man who created the idea of bilingual special education in the 1970's (Figueroa 2). It does this because the researchers believe that a major problem in the diagnosis and treatment of learning disabilities, especially when these disabilities are ascribed to people of color, is that there is a language barrier to those families being involved in the process (in a similar fashion to the mothers from Zimbabwe in the first article) (Figueroa 6). It makes the claim of special education "being a tracking system" (Figueroa 7) that is meant to justify the idea that these students do not deserve the investment in resources which would be able to "give students a choice in what they learn" and increase "high expectations" (similar to second article) (Figueroa 9). This article ties together quite nicely with the first two articles because it sees the labeling of students of color disproportionately with learning disabilities as a way to make sure that they do not rise up in the class system as well as a justification for not funding programs for minorities and special education. The question is raised on whether simply labeling a child with a learning disability and then putting them on a pill is an adequate path when many are still stigmatized / not expected to succeed, and the institutions themselves do not allocate resources to give the students choices and "print rich" environments (Figueroa 9).

Down the Rabbit Hole: A Commentary About Poor Research on Parents and Special Education

Jan W. Valle

Learning Disability Quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 3 (August 2011) pp. 183-190 Sage Publications, Inc.

            The researchers aim to research the "reluctant hero narrative" of women who are mothers of student with special needs to see how they react and handle their students being diagnosed in a way that relates their experience to Alice falling down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. They discovered through their prior research that other researchers see mothers as "too subjective to contribute meaningfully and "in need of expert guidance" (Valle 184) – suggesting that the narrative of mothers is most frequently ignored in the view of "expert" opinion. The researchers have found that mothers engage more frequently with school personnel than either set of parents or than fathers alone, and that school personnel find the parents' proper role to be that of a "passive recipient" (186) of information rather than being able to actively contribute information that would benefit the teachers and education officials. The researchers conclude that parents should be seen as integral to the conversation about spcial education and should not be left out of the loop due to the perception of their "subjectivity" and "lack of understanding." It suggests, in relation to families of color, that most families of children with learning disabilities feel that they are left out of the conversation, and are not given the sufficient resources they need to have raised expectations as well as contribute to their children's' needs /talents  to the best of their ability

Teacher-Student Interactions in Middle School Mainstreamed Classess: Differences with Special and Regular Education Students

Michael P. Brady, Paul R. Swank, Ronald D. Taylor and H. Jerome Freiberg

The Journal of Educational Research Vol. 89 No. 6 (Jul-Aug, Taylor and Francis, Ltd)

            The researchers look at Bryan's (1978) study that learning disabled children are twice as likely to be ignored and Hogue + Bruelle's study (1984) that mainstreamed students did not significantly receive more time than non-handicapped students. Effective teachers of handicapped students were more likely to "use high rates of contingent feedback, guided students towards academic responses, asked questions, minimized discipline, and decreased criticism and the time students spent of task" (Larrivee 1906). They found that the teacher's expectations of the students fell as "a result of poor pupil performance" (Shores 1972) – suggesting that those in special education whom have a harder time than others may be decreasing the amount of expectation and instructional feedback that could be given to students otherwise. This suggests that teacher expectations are an important part of the instructional quality for student with disabilities, and that mainstreaming students does not necessarily decrease the amount of stigma that follows students. The article is questionable about what can be done to make the teachers better and suggests "active training, format, systematic feedback, timing, and improvements" (338) without being very clear about what those improvements mean.

The Concept of Cultural Pluralism: Issues in Special Education

Mary S. Poplin and Pamela Wright

Learning Disability Quarterly, Vol. 6 No. 4, Cultural Pluralism (Autumn 1983) pp. 367-371

            Americanization is a concept that is stating in this article that holds "that people outside the dominant cultural group (Anglo-American broadened to include Scandanavian, German, and English) should relinquish their language, their customs, and any tiers to their land of origin in exchange for English." The researchers disagree with the idea that all cultures must melt and succumb to the dominant culture, but rather that Cultural Pluralism should be a concept that applies to education – one that guides educational standards and content design. This article, though it takes place in special education, suggest that students must "encourage diverse explanations of text material and become less dependent on projected answers" (5). We can take from this article that the researchers find it to be completely possible for students with disabilities to develop critical thinking skills about a multiplicity of texts. This raises the question, as it does in other articles about multiculturalism and parental involvement in special education, whether enough is being done.

            All in all, it seems as if there is not as much being done in special education as there could be. Minority students are disproportionately being put into special education programs without much consideration for the way their culture looks at learning disabilities nor how their language and culture is left out of consideration. Teachers do not try as hard due to the low expectations of these students – suggesting that there is never going to be a significant amount of allocation of resources if the students are never expected to achieve beyond what they think the students will achieve. This literature presented suggests that students can benefit from print-reach materials and multicultural perspectives, yet there is still not being enough done to make this is a reality. In conclusion, once special education accounts for cultural diversity, you will see a lot of expansion of perspectives for students with disability.

Works Cited

"Overcoming Obstacles: African American Students with Disabilities Achieving Academic Success"The Journal of Negro Education, Volume 55 No 2, The 36th Annual Charles H. Thompson Lecture, Why Black Lives (and Minds) Matter Race, Freedom, Schools and The Quest for Educational Equity (Spring 2016) pp. 129-142 Branty T. Gatlin and Cynthia L. Wilson

Miller-Gairy, Shanna; Mofya, Saul, DVM, MSC. Elements of culture and tradition that shape the perceptions and expectations of Somali refugee mothers about autism spectrum disorder

Int J Child Aolesc Health 2015; 8(4): 425-438

Figueroa, Richard A. "Special Education for Latino Students in the United States: A Metaphor for What Is Wrong" Bilingual Review / La Revista Bilingue Vol. 24 No. 112 Helping Individuals with Disabilities and Their Families, Mexican and US Perspectives Clawary August 1999 pp. 147-159

Valle, Jan W. "Down the Rabbit Hole: A Commentary About Poor Research on Parents and Special Education" Learning Disability Quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 183-190 Sage Publications, Inc.

Brady, Michael P.; Swank, Paul R.; Taylor, Ronald D; Frieberg. "Teacher-Student Interactions in Middle School Mainstreamed Classess: Differences with Special and Regular Education Students." The Journal of Educational Research Vol. 89 No. 6 (Jul-Aug, Taylor and Francis, Ltd)

Poplin, Mary S.;Pamela Wright. (1983). "The Concept of Cultural Pluralism: Issues in SpecialEducation." Learning Disability Quarterly, Vol. 6 No. 4, Cultural Pluralism,pp. 367