Chapter 22: Sweets and Drama

It was April 18th, 2019, and Shadow was carrying a tray with a single platterful of muffins of some unknown flavor. Maybe they were raspberry... or strawberry... or cherry... Whatever flavor they were, the Chaotix must have really liked them seeing as though they had ordered so many-- three dozen. Then again though, there were three of them...

The Ultimate Lifeform set the tray on their table and immediately he felt someone tug the bottom hem of his apron.

The dark pineapple turned around and promptly looked downward. There was a silver fern crouched at his feet.

"Uh, what are you doing down there?"

The fern looked up and his golden eyes shone with a worrisome light. "Oh, sorry," he said, standing up and dusting himself off as it was particularly grimy down there. Shadow would have to remind himself to get Infinite on that right away. "I was wondering if you could buy me a slice of peach cobbler."

"Why?" was how he responded. "Don't you have money yourself?"

Silver blushed and put his index fingers together. "No..."

"How do you support yourself?" he asked next.

"Blaze is a princess, so..."

"Oh, right." Shadow crossed his arms and looked towards the menu.

"10 rings..." he mumbled to himself. He looked to Silver. He had that pleading face still. Shadow sighed.

"Fine." He approached the register and the ginger bunny girl behind it.

"What'll it be?" the cashier, Snow the Rabbit, asked him. She was another one of GUN's agents. Shadow has been staying in her house since the beginning of time-- well, at least since chapter one of Honesty is the Best Policy! {w/Snow}.

"One slice of peach cobbler," Shadow told her flatly.

Snow widened her eyes. She resembled Scourge. Why? You know how Scourge always wears those red sunglasses? Well, every once and awhile, Scourge lifts his glasses and has this... look to him. The same thing is true with Snow. Although she doesn't wear dorky sunglasses, Snow does keep her eyes narrowed almost always. Whenever her eyes do widen, much like they did just now, she has the same look to her that Scourge has. Now Shadow couldn't unsee it as she leaned over the register and spoke to him.

"Are you sure that's all you want?" Shadow nodded immediately afterwards.

Snow still looked unsure. Now she somewhat resembled Rosy whenever she was insane and confused. Maybe, now that I think about, it's just because mine and one of the artists' of the comics art styles are so similar.

"The reason I'm saying this is Key and Amy are going to have to bake a whole pie just so that you can have only one piece of it. It's kind of a waste."

Silver walked up to the counter and jumped. "Ooh!" he said, raising his arm. "Then we'll buy a whole pie and share it with all the waitresses!" He looked excitedly to the bunny and to the hedgehog individually.

Steam was puffing out of Shadow's ears. "What makes you think I have enough money for a whole pie?"

"That's a great idea!" Snow said. She turned to the laptop sitting on the counter next to the register. She looked over the counter at Shadow. "I'll just subtract the amount from your yearly pay."

A vein appeared on his forehead, but Shadow didn't say anything. It was for Silver.

A while later, Cosmo came out of the kitchen and walked to a table in the middle of the room. The peach pie was set in the center of this table and Honest's eyes lit up. She was peeping over the side of the table at it.