Chapter 16: A Scourge's Way of Apologizing

It was March 14th, 2018, and at the front counter of the cafe stood a true, blue customer who wanted to order something. The owner of the cafe came flying into the room and landed behind the counter. "Do you know what day it is?" she asked.

The spiky, blue rat looked at her with confusion. "The day you finally admit your love to Knu-"

"No! That's not what day it is!" She almost tackled him from the other side of the register. "That day will come in time, but guess what day it really is?"

"Give the town hero a break day?" he asked, extremely hopeful.

"No," the cafe owner, a bat, told him seriously.

"Oh," the customer said disheartedly, his ears drooping.

"It's national pi day! And you know what that means?" She knew not to wait for his answer this time. "It means that all you can order is pie! So what kind?"

"But.. What if I want to order something else?" he asked, concerned.

"You will buy pie!" she said, pointing bitterly at him. His ears drooped again.

"Blueberry?" he asked.

"Wow, so original," Rouge commented.

"Oh! No, I'm not choosing blueberry pie because it's blue like me. I'm choosing blueberry pie because I love the taste of blueberries. It's so unique, you know?"

"No," Rouge said immediately, unamused. The doors to the back room were flung open a second later and an overly enthused, blond cat came flying into the room and up to the royal blue speedster.

"I do! I completely understand where you're coming from! Blueberries have a taste all their own that no other berries share similarities with. It's not my favorite kind of pie, but it does definitely have a unique flavor like you said," Honest exclaimed, lifting her index finger to the sky as if to cue a "did you know?" moment.

"What flavor of pie is your favorite, Honest?" the blue blur then asked.

Honest shut her eyes and imagined her favorite pie being carried to her by an angel on a silver plate. "Blackberry..." she said in response, drool dripping from her lip.

"Ew, uh.. where's Shadow?" he asked her, dodging the stream of spit.

"Right here," came his answer. Shadow was standing in the doorway that Honest had just emerged from seconds before in his uniform with his hand on his hip looking cross as... well, always.

"Shadster! How are you? How are you feeling? Would you like me to buy you a pie??"

Shadow actually decided to answer his questions, one-by-one. "I am... fine... I feel... okay... and no. I'm not a pie person. Buy one for yourself, faker. You're wasting valuable time."

"Would you like a pie, Honest?"

"Oh, would I!" Honest exclaimed, running towards the incredibly gracious, cobalt pineapple. Shadow sighed outwardly and walked away towards the center of the cafe.

"Alright, then! I want one blueberry and one blackberry pie, please!" he told Rouge.

"Go tell Amy," Rouge replied. Sonic went into the kitchen, pulling open the door and disappearing inside. She had meant for him to go to the window and tell her there, but whatever. Shadow had gotten an order written down on a note and went to the passthrough to give it to Amy. He saw a pair of emerald (grassy!) green eyes.

"Hey, look, Ames! It's a wild Faker in its natural habitat!" he exclaimed, peering at him. Shadow stuck the note to the counter and flicked Sonic's nose hard before stomping off. Sonic backed away from the passthrough and put his hands over his nose to stop it from moving back and forth. When it finally quit, Sonic laughed.