Chapter 34 - The Slip

"Why are you just sitting there? We need to go."

Jin didn't look up at you. He continued to sharpen his sword, eyes focused on his work as the metal scraped against the rock.

"It won't be much longer until sundown," you said. "Are we going to save him or not? I swear to God, Jin, if you don't --"

"Shut up." He checked the blade one more time before shaking his head in disapproval. He scraped it against the rock again. "Wait."

"Wait for what?"

This time, he looked up from his work to smirk at you. "Wait for the right moment."

"I think immediately is the right moment."

"And that's why you'll never be a place of power. You'd rather run your mouth and follow your own ideas then look at the best way to control the situation."

You folded your arms. "I'm giving my honest assessment of the situation. You have a problem with honesty?"

He laughed. "I have a problem with you thinking poor tactics is honesty. Also, I have a problem with you thinking that honesty is a good tactic. You're built on reactions. Yujin was the same way. That's what got her killed."

His voice softened for a quick moment when he said her name, then toughened immediately after.

Before you could ask Jin's relationship to Yujin, someone burst through the door holding his chest and panting.

"Jin!" Jimin cried, his words forced through shallow breaths. "The Underground in the South. They've been -- huff -- they've been captured!"

Jin raised his head, with a flat expression, nothing revealing any sort of feeling, except for a glimmer of mischievousness in his eyes.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Jimin nodded frantically, not speaking.

Jin pulled his blade from the rock and glanced at it for a brief moment before placing it in his scabbard. He nodded to Jimin.

"Prepare the horses," he commanded.

Jimin nodded and disappeared outside.

Jin smiled and scratched his chin. He gave a dramatic sigh. "What to do? I've been entrusted with a prisoner, but those under my command need my help. I can't very well leave them to die to protect our enemy... can I?"

He rolled his neck around to loosen it.

"You planned this... didn't you?" you asked.

He shrugged, smiling. "I didn't get this far by my handsome face alone, you know. Here, you're going to need this."

He held his arm out, a familiar dagger in his hand. The metal shined with a dark light now, weighing your heart down.

"You know this was hers, don't you?" he asked.

"Whose?"

"Yujin."