Chapter 14 - The Pack

You never heard Hoseok's name before that night you met in the forest. But maybe you had been in the wrong circles.

Because in the thick of a brothel, everyone knew his name.

As you walked in the door, all heads turned and all mouths grinned. You were swarmed by men and women clawing for his attention regarding both business and pleasure.

"Hoseok! How's trading these days?" one of the men said, dressed in fabric as lavish as Hoseok's. "You disappeared on us. Good to see you healthy."

"Hoseok, what do you think of the wares from the Western Province? I think the devils are trying to cheat us."

"It's been too long, old friend! Come have drinks with us before the night's over."

The women were more obsessed with his arrival. Despite your presence, they draped themselves across his arms, escorting him deeper into the House.

You had never stepped foot in a brothel before, but you automatically hated it. The scent of jasmine, cinnamon, and heavy liquor drenched the air, accompanied by drunken laughter and loud chattering. Women sat on the laps of obvious strangers, with no apprehension or reservation. They laughed and cooed at each other, making your stomach turn in both disgust and morbid curiosity.

What would it be like to have a man caress you in such a way?

A hand reached out for your arm and pulled you close, Hoseok's smile coming into sight.

"Keep your eyes on me, sweetheart," he said.

The other women took a step back at his gesture, looking at you as if they had just noticed your existence. Their faces mixed in confusion, annoyance, and disappointment.

"Where is Kana?" Hoseok asked the other girls.

They looked at each other.

"I'll get her for you," one of them said.

"No need," he returned. "I'd like to meet with her privately."

His hand wrapped around your waist, signaling that private didn't mean alone.

One of the girls led you past a couple of rooms, towards the back of the house. She knocked in a pattern - double, single, triple. After a moment, the door opened and an adult woman, maybe in her 30s, stepped out with a smile.

"Jung Hoseok," she said with a voice like pure honey. "What a pleasant surprise. I see you haven't lost your style or physique."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he replied. "Is it a good time to speak?"

She looked at you, then dipped her head back to look at him. "For you? Of course."

The door was shut behind you, no one else in the room but you three.

"Have you a gift for me?" the woman asked, pinching your chin in between her fingers to look at you.

"She's a gift to myself," Hoseok replied, plucking away the woman's hand. "But I want her to be one of yours for the night."

The woman giggled like brook water over pebbles as she sat on her cushioned chair, her robes draping open in tempting places. "No offense, Hobi, but she hardly looks like a decent whore."

You automatically scrunched your nose at the word.

"Don't look so disgusted, dear," the woman said. "It's a decent living for some of us."

"She won't be part of the House," Hoseok replied. "I have a special use for her. Kim Namjoon."

The woman laughed, a hand fluttering to her collarbone. "That old wet blanket? Why would you ever put a beautiful girl in his company? Every time he comes in, it's like talking with a tombstone. A gorgeous tombstone, mind you; but a good shine doesn't change a cold rock."