Xanthy knit her eyebrows as she turned to June. Now she's processing being handed a basket of butterbread. "Who's the Death Knight? Why was he such a big deal?"

"The Death Knight is a thing of rumors," Ezril said, catching Xanthy's attention to her. "A figment of the nobles' imaginations. The reported deaths are just coincidences."

Xanthy narrowed her eyes, gesturing towards the orb. "But he's real," Xanthy crossed her arms. Why was the High Priestess dismissing an important detail in that message? "He's asking for me in Lanteglos. What is he?"

"The Death Knight is a ruthless assassin," Ezril sighed as she crossed the room to peer at one of the maps. It was glowing normally with no mass summonings being reported. "He plagued the High Queen's court years ago, killing off nobles who opposed the High Queen. Then, he disappeared."

Ezril bent down, studying one of the maps closer. She tapped a finger against the illustration of Lanteglos where four cities glowed gold. "No one knows where he was or even who he was. He erased himself from history and made it look like he wasn't a real person," Ezril straightened to regard Xanthy with her bright, yellow irises. "Anyone who could do that is more likely someone who didn't exist in the first place. Like I said, the victims' deaths were nothing but coincidences."

Xanthy's eyes flicked back to the orb. What was it called, even? "How do you explain the message, then?"

"It may be someone who has to get your attention for other things," Ezril moved to another map that showed the rest of Umazure. Xanthy, no matter how many times she saw the maps, felt her jaw dropping open. The island was just...so huge.

Beside her, June nodded and braced his chin with hand. "That makes sense," he nodded before glancing at Ezril. "It's impossible for a single person to decimate Yin Alora. I've been there and that place is a stronghold. It couldn't have been the Death Knight's doing. Cardovia probably used him to get the Imperial City's attention."

Oh, Peltra? Xanthy added an item into her mental list—June had been to Peltra.

Ezril frowned at the map showing Peltra's territory glowing red. "As much as I dislike the Pixies, it shows that this is just another of Cardovia's attacks. There's too much magic involved for this to not be for them."

Xanthy stared at the High Priestess. Judging from the way Ezril's brow met and her shoulders squared, Xanthy could tell that the High Priestess was calculating the odds. After a while, Ezril sighed and straightened once more. "As much as I would like to go there myself, I can't just leave my duty here especially when my Rekshais are hardly recuperating."

The mention of the advisers shifted Xanthy's attention. "Are they fine now?"

Ezril shook her head. Her face carried a bit of sadness that crept out of her stone-like expression. "A few more days of soul cleansing," she closed her eyes and took a deep breath like it was stressing her out. "Too much soul exposure to the Land of Wonders can be destructive."

Xanthy pursed her lips. Right. This idea was becoming less and less ideal. It's a good thing she told Nyxis to go ahead without them to do whatever he planned to do. He didn't need to witness another disaster that he shouldn't be concerned with. He'd been through enough because of her. Ravalee had been helpful in conveying Xanthy's sentiments, too.

June stood still, his eyes still on the green orb across the room. His lips were pressed in a hard line, thinking. Xanthy blew a breath and touched her chin. It's time for her to think as well. Silence filled the room as Xanthy's thoughts raged.

Her only goal prior to this event was going to Dwanzeig to find her father despite Airene's warning. Her family was just within her reach. There's no way she's not going there.