The Ascension || part two

It was another night of terror for Philadelphia. Much blood had flowed, even though the organ trafficking has been dismantled.

At streets far from the inhabitants, the lights on the police cars parked near the abandoned subway gave this sad and gloomy place a touch of colour.

The crime lab was studying the bodies, while the lieutenant O'Connor was squatting in front of one of them. Thoughtful, he stared at him, his teeth clenched. He wondered when they would stop The Horde, once and for all.

Roman was frustrated, full of regret. But most of all, he was furious.

"Are we sure it's him?" The chief asks.

"Who else ? That's his mode of operation. We'll know for sure once we have the results of the analyzes..." Roman answers. "But he didn't devour them all this time. If any of them have organs missing, its because he fought against them and not to perform some damn ritual. And apparently, he was in a hurry."

"Probably because he knew we were coming." Lance goes on. "He opted for stealth. Well At least, at the begining. He did it fast and well. But why them ? Why now ?"

"I don't... I don't know, but--" He stops to get up suddenly before turning to his superior. " I have a better question for you : Why did you waste so much time on that redhead ? If we had done things our way, we would have caught him tonight."

"Turns out we didnt have a choice, Roman," Lance says in an aggressive tone. "I'll tell you this, even if it piss me off as much as you, were gonna have to lick her shoes if she wants to, because as far as she's concerned, we have no power."

"This is bullshit..." O'Connor sighs.

"Roman, I tried to do my best." he replies, at the height of his toleration for the lieutenant's complaints.

"Try harder, because there's no way we abandon this investigation in the hands of this maniac." he gets angry.

"Watch your tone, O'connor ! You just got back from your layoff, you should be careful." Lance reminds him.

Indeed, the lieutenant had been punished for his lack of respect and honesty in the police, not long ago. Nevertheless, Lance knew that he would need his talents. Especially on this case.

Claiming to be disciplined, Roman looks away, silent and almost biting the insides of his cheeks to avoid retorting. Because underneath his cold manners, deep down, he admired his superior, or at least he respected him, but will never says it out loud.

"Chief," One of the police arrives. "We found the hostages ..." He announces, looking strangely bewildered.

"They're fine ?" Asks Lance, worried.

"Ye-Yeah, they... they've been released," the officer says.

"What do you mean, 'released' ?" Roman asks, feeling lost.

"Uh... apparently they say... well, they gave a description and..."

"And what, damn it ?" Lance gets impatient.

"That would be The Beast...." The policeman finally said.

Lance and Roman frowned at this unexpected and surprising announcement.

"...We're coming." The chief says, all torn up.

And as they stared into the emptiness, Roman became more determined than ever.

"You're not going to give her the case, aren't you ?" He asks with some complicity.

"Hell, no..." Lance finally answers, as much determined as Roman now.