A Cruel Man

"...Do you want your bed the next time ? Or your pyjama ?" He asks, smiling.

Casey laughs as she unbuckled her seat belt.

"We can build your bedroom here. Yeah, why not." He jokes.

Ike watched his stepdaughter leaving his car, a light smile on her face.

"This is a library. So you can... You know. You can take a book to read, someday."

She looks up to him with her big brown eyes, smirking. Then he takes her backpack and hands it to her, being surprised of its weight.

"I see you've already brought your bedroom with you." He laughs briefly as she takes her backpack.

"I need all my world to immerse myself in the story." She replies wisely.

"And that's how you make me feel stupid." He smiles.

Casey's smile widened and she closes the door, before he opens the window, leaning towards her a little.

"You call Bonnie when you're finished. She'll drive you home." He says.

"Oh, she doesn't need to..." She retorts nicely, not wanted to bothering her for nothing. Mostly to have the time to do what she wanted without the thought that Bonnie will be where she doesn't want her to be.

"Alright... You got the money for the bus ?"

"Yeah, don't worry." She answers.

"Text me when you're home. I go to work now but Bonnie will be with the kids today. Have a nice day, sweetie." He smiles softly.

"Great, have a nice day too. See you tonight !"

"Bye, be careful !" He finally exclaims when he start to drive away.

Casey makes a few steps back, watching him go with a small smile curving her lips. People were walking behind her, one of them entering and exiting the library. And her smile faded, when Ike was far from her.

Later, arriving in front of the wooden door of the old cottage, she takes the key again to open it.

She knocks on the door to warn Dennis of her entrance, before she walks in slowly.

"I'm here..." She warns, preparing herself to see him again, like the night before that.

The young woman closes the door and puts her backpack on the floor.

"Denni--?" She stops herself when she looked up, seeing him walking towards her quietly.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you arrived, I... I was in the bathroom." He explains almost nervously, his hands into his pockets, a little smile on his face.

Casey stands up slowly, noting by his face less stern and his posture, that it seemed to be Kevin.

He came back into the light ?

She raises her eyebrows a bit, her lips parted as she looks at him.

Dennis eventually gives him the light. And she thought that he would fight for it. Does it means he made his choice ?

Casey was a little surprised, but then she smiles softly.

"It's okay..." She only says back, reminding of yesterday night.

Apparently, he made the right decision...

Looking at each other a second, Casey finally tries to think about something else, a little smile on her face.

For the first time, she feels like something good happened. A small victory.

"Do you feel comfortable here..?" She asks.