⊱⊰ 43: Risk ⊱⊰

Start from the beginning

Time seemed as if it was frozen as the two waited for their companion's signal.

"The path is clear." Thelma's voice rang in Arisa's ear. "You can come now."

Kazuya didn't drop his hand from Arisa's and quickly guided her to the cave's entrance. They didn't take long to pass the many trees and meet a girl holding a bright stone that illuminated a small part of the entrance.

Sounds of dripping water filled the silence as Arisa examined her surroundings. She could barely see the staircase that lead to their area.

"Sorry I took long," said Thelma, her voice quiet. "It's hard to adjust a robot with one hand busy trapping the captured light."

Arisa gazed at the glowing stone her friend was holding, remembering that Thelma had taken a few of those crystal-looking rocks in Ribawe. She still was amazed by how Thelma was able to trap the entrance's light so casually.

"As long as we succeeded with the plan, it's fine," said Kazuya, his tone quiet.

"We should go," said Garoh. "Before those guards return and find us here."

The team nodded before Thelma accessed the entrance with the only available light glowing in her hand. As they carefully walked on the stairs, Arisa felt a bit warmer. They didn't take long to reach a wider area with weak illumination.

"I guess I was able to capture light until here," said Thelma, looking around. "Well then, it seems this improvised lantern is no longer needed."

As soon as Thelma opened her hand, the bright glow on the stone vanished, returning to their original source.

Garoh walked forward, relaxing. One blink and the curly-haired young man was substituted with dark blue-haired one.

"You deactivated the disguise," said Arisa as they resumed their walk.

Garoh nodded. "It's to save my magical energy. If the Master is actually here, I don't want to fight it using only my fists. Besides, it seems no one is here, so it's safe. If we spot any trouble, I'll reactivate the spell."

"That's a logical strategy," said Kazuya, looking at Arisa. "We should do the same."

Arisa inhaled and closed her eyes, relaxing. A few seconds later, she felt lighter as the rune was no longer consuming her energy.

"Very well," said Thelma, "where should we start our first investigation?"

Arisa understood her friend's question. They had reached an area that had three different paths to follow.

"This place has so many caves," said Kazuya, folding his arms. "It's difficult to choose which area we should check first."

"True," Thelma agreed. "We could split but that would be too risky and there's another problem. How will we know the exact place where it's hidden?"

A quick silence fell as the team thought of a way to solve that obstacle. Arisa thought of the dream controlled by Eklipta. For sure that dream wasn't random and probably was trying to give her hints somehow. As she remembered her necklace, a realization struck her.

"The one holding Eklipta shall be the one to find me," Arisa whispered.

She opened her shoulder bag, looking for the necklace that was still glowing with weak light.

"Of course," said Thelma. "Based on those words, the necklace is the one that will guide us to it."

"Then we'd better start exploring the caves," said Garoh, walking on the path in the middle. "It will give us a sign when we'll be close to it."