Connect 4

"Love the cheesy line, but I'm not interested. Thanks," I replied rather bitterly.

The stranger laughed, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been such a creep. Let me make it up to you?"

Big brown eyes looked down at me, paired by a crew cut and monstrously large arms. I was sure one bicep would measure bigger than my waist. It was easy to see how cute he was if you saw his face first and weren't intimidated by his size. If I was being honest, his size did throw me off quite a lot.

I was biased though, considering I was standing in his shadow. His face held such sincerity that it made me feel awful for acting how I did, and I decided to try and reverse that while I could.

"Yeah, that would be nice. Thank you."

He smiled and gestured for me to follow him. He brought me to the bar and was about to order a drink for me when I stopped him.

I lightly touched his arm to get his attention, "I'm a designated driver today, I can't drink."

He ordered something virgin, and handed it to me, "My name is David. It's been lovely running into you."

"Rhia, and I'm sorry I came off like a dick earlier." I took the drink.

His eyes looked so soft and gentle that I felt thrown off balance. I avoided eye contact because it was too intense for me to handle, and tucked my hair behind my ear out of the sheer awkwardness of the situation. David didn't feel it though.

"Can I have your number?" He asked.

I handed him my phone, which was probably a bad idea, and he didn't steal it. I was impressed by that fact alone. His large fingers had to backspace a lot because they tapped the wrong buttons more than once, but I decided not to be impatient because of something he obviously knew he had to deal with.

"You're not nervous right?" David asked, "You didn't give me your phone because you're scared of me?"

"No. I gave it to you because you seemed nice enough. Most people act like assholes when people run into them, sorry about that again by the way," I laughed.

"I know how I look, and it's alright if you're not comfortable," David said quietly.

I reached out and placed my hand on his huge bicep, which was a little distracting, "I'm not a scared little dear, but thanks for asking."

David smiled a beautiful smile at me, only adding to the idea that he was this beautiful stranger I was never meant to meet. He was really gorgeous the more I looked at him, and I should've avert my eyes so I didn't embarrass myself, but I couldn't.

"Rhia, would you tell me a little about yourself?"

I nodded, "I grew up a few states over and got a scholarship to the university here, so here I am."

David looked like he was giving me his full attention which was intimidating in itself, "You must be pretty smart. I don't know a lot of people that get into this college."

"I wish I thought so," I nervously laughed, "I'm only part time and I'm not pulling straight A's even with fewer classes."

David placed his hand on mine, and like he was a magician, my hand disappeared beneath his. I wasn't sure what it was about him that really made me confess something I barely told anyone. I'm guessing it could be the giant brown eyes staring into my soul.

"Well, I'm from the south, and usually people think we're less intelligent because of the accents, at least you look smart," David laughed, "I could cure cancer and people would tell me to go back to my cows."