Chapter 6 | Emergency

Marinette stood there in front of the ever-so looming wooden door of the bronze-coloured apartment. The windows faded as they lined toward the sky, small breezes of wind flew through her hair. However fading they were, they were visibly apparent to the ravenette as the tense atmosphere overwhelmed her. What is Alya going to do...? Marinette gulped. Alya was sensible most times, but even sometimes her plans were a little extra. Especially since her worst fears had finally come true today. Marinette's thoughts went silent. She hung her head wistfully for a moment. I think I should just go inside now. Marinette swiftly stepped forward to turn the doorknob before she could hesitate anymore. She touched her hand to the doorknob and felt a shiver pass through her body as she realized the knob was frigid. Marinette breathed in her last breath of air outside and opened the door to the bewildering apartment stairwell.

Marinette had already memorized the location of Alya's room, as she'd been there multiple times when she'd been distressed about something. Alya would also be there to calm her down and give her options to take. Walking silently through the hallway Marinette passed the endless doors until she'd reached Alya's. 306. Marinette hesitated momentarily before knocking on the sturdy wooden door. As soon as she'd knocked, the door opened rapidly and Marinette was dragged inside in what seemed like a millisecond. The door closed loudly behind her and when Marinette looked around, Alya was standing in front of her holding Marinette's hands in hers above their chests. She seemed relieved and thrilled that Marinette had come.

"Hey girl. I'm so happy you came. Come to the living room! Everyone else is already here. Since you finally came we can start the emergency meeting about... um... what happened earlier," Alya averted eye contact with Marinette.

"It's okay. I knew it would happen anyways," Marinette took off the red buttoned coat she was wearing and hung it up on the coat rack next to her. Marinette and Alya walk to the living room together and as soon as she was there she could recognize a couple of familiar faces. Marinette saw that Juleka, Mylène, Rose, and Alix were patiently waiting scattered throughout both couches. When they hear footsteps approach, they turn their heads around and see Marinette and Alya.

"Hey Marinette! I hope you're doing okay after what happened. The way you got rejected was pretty... harsh," Alix exclaimed first. Marinette stiffened at the word rejected. He hadn't said no directly... Marinette tried to convince herself. But deep down she knew the truth was that he had his eyes set on someone else. It was unavoidable. Rose spoke up right after Alix finished.

"Oh, Marinette, don't worry. I mean, you still like Adrien right?" Rose said sympathetically. A tiny flicker of hope sparked in her words. While pondering about Rose's words, Marinette sat down on the far side of the couch next to Juleka while Alya followed, sitting beside Rose.

"I-I honestly don't know. I was so caught up with Luka while Adrien was stuck inside because of his dad - I just don't know anymore," Marinette buried her hands into her face and looked down at the ground in shame. Her face felt like it was getting warmer, like how when the sun finally shines through the clouds and warms you up on a cold day. Alya started to add to the conversation but truthfully, Marinette couldn't hear it. Everyone started to talk all at once around her and she just sat there, feeling ashamed. Except when a certain question caught her attention. 

"What is Luka even doing right now?" Somebody asked.

Marinette looked up from her the plain floor and immediately turned her attention to Juleka, who she knew was Luka's sister. Startled because everyone had all of a sudden turned to her for an answer, Juleka stuttered out,

"I-I don't k-know where he is right now, b-but if you want I c-can text him to find out."

"Yes, please do Juleka," Alya responded, her face molded into a serious expression that Marinette knew well. The next few minutes consisted of silence as Juleka began to text Luka. As soon as the silence became almost unbearable, Juleka's face reacted to what was on her phone.