~8~

"What can you tell me about your sister's relationship with Marina? Were they really friends?"

Despite the fact that the Montonìa family didn't really look like a family for a long time, they always pretended to the high society of Spain. It was just how it was for them.

Apparently, their father had forgiven their mother for her misbehavior. Only the twins knew better. After all, they were the only ones living with them. The only ones to hear the screams once the doors are closed, the only ones to watch their mother destroy herself slowly.

Hence the reason they simply hated all these worldly things. The grudge they felt for this world was beyond words. And yet they were forced to pass the agonizing ordeal of worldly feasts at least twice a month. Just to show the united front of the Montonìa to the sharks.

That was how we lived in such a world according to their father.

The twins resigned themselves to the idea that they should accompany their parents. Especially to support their father. They were everything for him. And the fact that he usually bargained with them with pretty dresses and I-tech video game equipment also counted for them.

Some would say it was blackmail, but in Alba's mind it was more of a kind of pay. After all, it took a lot of effort to show a broad smile to haughty middle-class people.

With this in mind, Alba gave herself a little encouragement speech in front of her full-length mirror before each social gathering. And that night hadn't departed from the rule.

She had been alone in front of her mirror, throwing self-conscious glances at her body covered with a gorgeous sequin dress worthy of the roaring twenties.

She had curled her locks hazel in tight curls to compliment her heavily accentuated makeup at the level of her lips. She had painted them bright red.

She slowly climbed back up her silhouette until she met her own blank brown gaze across the glasse. She swallowed at the sight of her glassy eyes before sniffing as she could feel a tear failing to escape her.

She immediately brought her hand to her cheek in the hope of wiping away the slightest trace of weakness before turning on her heels. The sound of her heels against the floor was what alerted Niccolò as he left just at the same time from his room by straightening the straps of his trousers.

He gave an appreciative look at his sister before taking her hand as they walked into the kitchen where their mother was already. And it seems that she had already started the party before everyone else.

The same disillusioned glance crossed the faces of the twins as they watched their mother turn towards them with a glass of red wine in her hand."My, my, my ... look at these beauties."