20. 𝗽𝘂𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗺𝘆 '𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝗽𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀' 𝗼𝗻

𝕮heer practice went as good as ever since Rilynn stepped up as cheer captain. With Audrey away for the school year, Rilynn was appointed captain, which she was not expecting.

It was a surprise to the princess. This was a big responsibility, and truthfully, it scared Rilynn. She never really saw herself as an authoritative figure, but she molded into the role. Rilynn was comfortable taking Audrey's place as head cheerleader, and the support she received was comforting. All the girls loved the idea of Rilynn being the head cheerleader--she's way nicer than Audrey.

"Good job, girls. You guys killed it this week," Rilynn reached for her water bottle, smiling like always. Some girls chattered, some looking Rilynn's way with a cheer. "Keep it up like this, and we'll nail it at the game."

"Riley, why can't you just be captain forever?" Melody, Ariel's daughter, practically whined. She was a sophomore, one of the youngest members. "You way better than Audrey."

"Yeah! I don't really like Audrey," Cindy, another sophomore, spoke up. "I remember one time we were practicing, and Audrey kept calling me out for messing up the flip. I was doing it! But she's so picky."

"Well, she'll be back by next year," Rilynn decided now to inform them, smiling apologetically. "I'm sure she'll want back head cheerleader."

A chorus of 'aw man' and 'no' passed through the room. Rilynn pursed her lips sadly. She loved being captain this year. The princess loved her team, with fresh faces replacing the ones who've graduated. Rilynn became a supportive role for the younger classmen; they always came to Rilynn whenever they needed her. They were like a little family.

"You should talk to Coach about keeping head cheerleader," Jane approached Rilynn. "I think she'd keep you captain rather than Audrey."

"I doubt that would ever happen. Audrey's been captain since the first year," Rilynn looked at her knowingly. "You already know how Audrey is."

Jane did. She faced the princess's cruel jokes once before, then eventually stooped to her level. Jane wasn't proud of her behavior last year, but she grew up and realized her faults.

But Jane offered a hopeful smile. "You never know. Maybe when she comes back, she won't join cheerleading next year."

Rilynn merely shrugged. She had no bad blood toward Audrey, except that the princess was passive-aggressive. Rilynn still hopes that the princess will realize that people do want to be her friend. Sometimes, Audrey doesn't make it easy for everyone to want to be her friend.

The cheerleaders were dismissed and dispersed in different directions. Jane tagged alongside Rilynn, and the pair approached the swordsman training room.

"Sooo," Rilynn began, a little too unnatural. Her eyes darted around zealously, practically bouncing on her toes. "You excited for Cotillion?"

Jane absentmindedly glanced up from her notebook, seemingly distracted by whatever she was jotting down. "Huh? Oh, uh, not really," the fairy sighed dejectedly. Rilynn furrowed her brows. "It's always the same thing every year for me--serving punch with my mom."

"Well, have you considered maybe getting a date?" Rilynn cautiously slid the question in, eyeing her friend wearily. "Your mom is awesome, but this is Cotillion! Make some memories, girl."

The fairy paused momentarily before letting out a soft laugh. "I never really thought about it," Jane admitted. This felt like a real eye-opener. "I've just been so caught up with planning Corillion that I kind of forgot about attending. But, um . . . I-I'm sure no one would wanna go with me anyway."