17. 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝘂𝘀𝘆 𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴

𝕮otillion was just around the corner, and Rilynn was starting to panic. There was so much work to do that Rilynn hadn't put much thought into the matter, and she realized she was, in fact, not prepared.

With Evie4Hearts overwhelmed with clients and their accommodations, Rilynn was like a chicken without its head. Girls constantly swarmed her she's never really spoken to, asking her if Evie got to make their designs. Of course, Rilynn tried to assure them that Evie would get to them; it was much more complicated than you'd think.

You don't mess with a girl and her dress.

Rilynn was being bribed to put their names at the top of the list, not that she had much of a choice to deny their bribery; they would wink before hurrying off like nothing happened. Rilynn was stressed. She hasn't exactly told Evie yet and doesn't know what to do with the extra money some so kindly offered.

Besides that, Rilynn hasn't gotten her dress or been asked to go to Cotillion. I mean, is it that hard for Jay to ask her? Rilynn is dying here.

Rilynn was stressed and needed to get away from everyone, and the only person she could think of was her first friend when she came to Auradon. Rilynn doesn't see Ben as often, especially after his Coronation to be King. Now, Ben was doing his royal duties of being King, and the two never really had time to get together.

Not that Rilynn blamed Ben; he has a responsibility that requires his utmost attention. Besides, Rilynn has Doug, but now that he's usually with Evie, she feels a little lonely without either of her best friends.

Rilynn almost rarely comes to the King's office, but she recognized it once she approached.

She pushes inside. "Benny, I need your help with some--oh!" Rilynn halts when two pairs of eyes turn to her.

"Rilynn," Ben said in surprise. Maybe it was horror. Disbelief, perhaps.

Her cheeks burned in embarrassment. Ben and Grumpy were looking back at her two different expressions. Rilynn was mortified.

Ben was in the middle of a meeting with Grumpy for his petition for the Sidekicks. Grumpy was a strong advocate for earning their worth for working so hard in Auradon--and though it was difficult initially, Ben had come to a conclusion and granted all of the Sidekicks their cut.

The dwarf frowned at the princess, already annoyed with everything, which was no difference in his everyday attitude.

Ben looked surprised, a bit embarrassed, as he gave Rilynn a disapproving look, shaking his head. Rilynn blushed under their stare, ears burning hot.

She hadn't expected him to have a meeting at this time, and to make things worse, Rilynn completely barged in--this must've made Ben look bad; as King, he should be in charge and inform his people that they cannot simply barge into his office whenever they feel like it.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean . . . I'll just--"

But Grumpy grumbled, pushing himself out of his chair as he looked to the King, trying to be friendly. "I'll be sure to inform everyone about the meeting. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear the news," the dwarf looks to the girl, a friend of his many nephews. "Maybe teach a little manners to this one while she's here."

Rilynn bows her head, unable to meet his gaze. Rilynn couldn't believe she had walked in during one of Ben's meetings. The humiliation was intense.

"I'm sorry, really."

Grumpy stops in front of the princess. She's lucky that he's even in a good mood today. "It's fine, kid. I was just leaving. Tell your father I don't appreciate his sarcasm," Rilynn finally looked up, relieved. "He's annoying, and I don't like him."