09. 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗮 𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗸𝗲𝗻 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁

𝕲etting your heart broken is crushing, but nothing beats the embarrassment Rilynn was put through than getting broken up with in front of the entire school. It's a strong feeling that punctures your soul, piercing so far into your heart that it's bleeding out all the love and trust. Rilynn felt as if Chad had reached in and ripped her heart out of her chest, leaving her to whither in this pain of embarrassment and mistrust.

Rilynn figured heartbreak would be something to fear after giving your heart to someone you once adored, but she never thought it would feel ten times worse. While Chad angrily threw words at her face, Rilynn wondered what brought them together; sure, they became acquainted when she befriended Ben and were somewhat friends, but Rilynn doesn't remember what attracted her to date Chad. After Chad accused Rilynn of liking Jay, the princess felt guilty when he sneered the words to her face. It was like a slap to the face. Rilynn stood there wondering if she'd hurt his feelings for how she behaved, and all for a boy who was nothing but trouble.

But Chad's words echoed in her thoughts to remind her of her foolishness, springing tears to her emerald eyes again; Rilynn would sob all over again. Rilynn realized how stupid she'd been, especially after being embarrassed in front of the entire school. She cried so much that her eyes were puffy, her nose was runny, and she'd hiccup every few seconds as her shoulders would shake with every inhale. Rilynn couldn't find it in her to hate Chad, nor could she be angry at him for what he did at the game. In a way, she deserved it for the way she'd been treating their relationship the past couple of days, but could anyone blame her? It was fun at the beginning of their relationship, but over time, Rilynn didn't feel that rush she once did.

Oh, geez . . . Rilynn remembers the way her face burned in mortification as several eyes darted toward her and Chad; the gasps and whispers felt so loud Rilynn was afraid to look away from Chad's face. Had she, Rilynn would've faced the judgy looks from her classmates. Who knows what everyone must've been thinking--Chad and Audrey, who were meant to care for Rilynn--were seeing each other behind the princess's back without her knowing. Poor, sweet, gullible Rilynn was too naive to see her boyfriend had always cheated on her.

Rilynn dreamt of a happily ever after like her parents, but this wasn't a fairytale. Love isn't forever, but heartbreak can last forever; it's like someone reaching inside her fragile chest and stealing her broken heart, shattering it. In Auradon, you'd think happily ever after would magically fall in your lap; however, this was where everyone walked around with fake smiles and pretended to be everyone's best friend.

No one was exactly nice in the land of happily ever afters.

Rilynn couldn't bother to wipe the tears that stained her cheeks, dripping from her chin and landing on her lap. The princess wasn't sure what hurt most--the whole thing had her balling all over again.

When the princess had run away, she wasn't sure what she was expecting, but Rilynn had hoped Chad would've chased after her; perhaps Chad would've apologized for his harsh comments and assured Rilynn that Audrey was lying, something other than what happened. Rilynn supposes it's her fault. She distanced herself from Chad for a while, and once the villain kids showed up, the princess devoted her time to them, wanting them to feel included.

"Riley!" a voice shouted from afar, huffing out of breath as he raced across the field. Rilynn recognized the voice calling for her in a rush, worry practically oozing from their words; however, Rilynn couldn't bring herself to look at him. "Riley!"

Rilynn sniffled as she bowed her eyes slightly, emerald eyes swimming in tears as she attempted to shield her puffy face. "Please," she whispered with a broken voice, barely audible had he not trudged closer. "Just leave me alone."