Nepenthes Sanguinea

Barbara wiped the blood dripping from her eye, finishing her tale.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I somehow did allow this when I fell in love with Richard," she admitted.

"No, Barbara," the other figure sighed. "Only an idiot would allow themselves to turn into this. And you're not an idiot. And here I thought my life was tragic." He tried cheering her up. "You know, dying as an adolescent and being trapped in this body forever."

"I can't believe you would even joke about something like that right now." She crossed her arms. "You go missing for thirty years and you never once come to tell us you're alive."

"I'm not really alive, Barbara... But you should know better than anyone why I wouldn't return." He frowned. "Who would return to Bruce Wayne?"

"Well, he is going to find out eventually," Barbara retorted. "You should know better than anyone he is the world's greatest detective, Jason Todd."

"Oh, I do want him to find out. That's one of the reasons I came back to Gotham." Jason put his helmet back on and unstrapped the bag around his shoulder.

Inside, were several guns, wooden bullets, wooden stakes, a wooden bat, and even a crossbow with wooden arrows.

"It's about time I faced my demons."

End of Book I