Sarracenia Psittacina

Start from the beginning

She knew he wasn't human. She had suspected something was wrong with him for the longest time. Although she had said that whatever he was didn't matter, seeing these features up close gave her pause. They made her realize the grave reality of what she was dealing with and made her question what truly lied beneath the surface.

What was he? What was his true nature?

His true appearance?

"Alright, you had enough." She started to pull her arm away, but Richard gripped onto her, still trying to lick up every last drop.

"Richard, let go. I'm feeling dizzy." She wasn't lying. Her body was actually feeling woozy from everything she was trying to comprehend.

He sighed, finally letting her go. "Sorry. You should probably go bandage that."

"Yeah, and you probably shouldn't have feasted on me two nights in a row." She left the room and went into the bathroom.

"I am still hungry." He followed behind her, watching as Barbara bandaged her arm.

"Unless you want me to pass out then I can't give you any more. Just how much blood do you have to drink?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Well, yesterday and today were like appetizers. Very tasty appetizers, I might add."

She groaned. "That comparison wasn't needed."

"Sorry." Richard laughed at her evident disgust. "But I have to go hunting."

Barbara finished bandaging herself and turned towards the boy with a curious expression. "Can- Can I come along?"

Richard shifted on his feet. "I don't think you would find it very appealing."

"I want to know more about you. About what you are."

"I thought you said what I am doesn't-"

"I know what I said. And it doesn't. Maybe it's the curious side in me that always wants to learn. Or the irrational side that wants a little excitement and just wants to leave this house. But I really am interested in knowing more about you," Barbara explained.

"No," He said firmly. It's too grisly. Too dangerous."

"Pamela has a helper. Two, in fact. Why can't I be yours?" Barbara cocked her head to the side.

"Because- Because if Bruce knew I took you with me-"

Barbara sighed, rolling her eyes in disappointment. "Okay, I understand. My dad will be here any minute now, so it's best you just go."

"Barbara..." Richard looked at her as she walked past him into her room.

"You got what you came here for." She didn't bother to hide the coldness in her tone. "So what are you still doing here?'

"Alright." He finally gave in, continuing to follow her. "But you must do what I say." His voice had turned deathly serious.

"I will, I will." She reassured with a satisfied smile.

"Then let's go." In a blink of an eye, Richard had already climbed out the window and dived down.

Barbara gasped, rushing over to the window. She gazed downwards, seeing that Richard was looking up at her smugly from the ground below, upright and safe.

"Jump down! I'll catch you!" He called to her, opening up his arms.

"Uh..." She backed away from the window.

"C'mon! What happened to the little excitement you were just talking about?"

Not wanting Richard to think she was boring or cowardly, she decided to put her trust in him. She already had before, so why would now be any different? Giving one last look to the bedroom behind her, Barbara shut her eyes and leaped off. The free-fall didn't last long before a pair of strong arms wrapped around her and gently placed her on her feet.