My phone rings and I roll my eyes at the caller ID.

"Yes, this is Natalie."

She laughs, "Is this how you say hello to your mother now?"

"Please, get to the point, mother. If you're calling to ask for money, I have none to give you. I saw the news. Lucas is taking care of everything. He'll do it for me."

" For God's sake, Natalie. I'm your mother, you can't be this rude to me every single time. You don't call or check in on me, and when I decide to do so, you give me such nasty replies?"

"Mother, I'll hang up now."

"Wait!" She says. She continues, "We're a little short on cash and I-

I interject. "I just knew it had to be money. That's all you care about. Money. Like I said earlier on, I don't have any. Even if I did have, I wouldn't think of giving it to you. I'll tell my husband whatever money he promised to give you as part of your dirty plan to sell me off shouldn't get you. Live honestly, mom. Maybe you'll learn a few things about genuine love." I say before hanging up. I sit on my bed as I massage my temples.

***

"There's what?" I ask Emmanuele and a few other staff.

"The paparazzi. They're outside, looking for you." Emmanuele responds.

I sigh, "Does Luke know?" I ask, rubbing my palms together. Emmanuele nods a no.

"I'll take care of them, Mrs. Carrington." I hear Rocky say and I turn to look at him.

"Always lurking around in the shadows, aren't you?"

"I could help you send them away, if you'd let me."

"Excuse us, Mrs. Natalie." Emmanuele states. I nod at her, "No, Emmanuelle. Please, stay. If anyone's leaving, it's Mr. Dunes here."

"I'd appreciate it if you don't bother yourself with my family issues." I say as I fold my arms together. "My husband takes care of everything around here."

"Very well. My apologies for intruding."

As he leaves, I notice Emmanuele has confusion written all over her face and it makes me panic. I needed to be calmer whenever Rocky was around. My sternness would make everyone suspicious.

"Can I have something to eat, Emmanuele? Pancakes?"

She nods at me, an unsure smile on her face as she leaves.

I go into Luke's study. The curtains are drawn down already. I try to open them, but a wave of nausea takes over me and I lose my balance. Luckily, I don't fall, but I feel something below my legs. I step on it multiple times, to be sure I really heard something. I kneel to check out the spot on the floor when the door opens.

"What are you doing, Natalie?"

"I didn't hear you come in." I respond nervously, as I get up to meet Luke. He looked tired, his hair, a complete mess.

"You look a bit pale, Natalie. Are you sure everything's okay?"

I nod at him, but unconsciously notice him looking at the spot behind me. "How's my father? Did you see him?"

"Yes, I did, but he was sleeping. I saw your mother, though."

I roll my eyes, irked. A part of me hated the fact that Lucas and my mother were still in contact. I hated the fact that I was bothered by the fact that they could make another deal without my knowledge. "Don't give my mother money again. Please." I say.

Confusion is written all over his face. "You know it's hard to understand exactly what you want. This morning, you told me to go help them and when I do, you—

I interject, "I know and thank you for that. I just don't want my mother taking advantage of you, Luke." I say, being extra careful to leave out the real reason behind my request.

***
I'd just come out of the shower, and as I wear my robe, I hear a knock on the door. Luke hadn't fully moved into the bedroom as per my request, so I wondered if he could be the one knocking. Squeezing the water off my wet hair, I walk to the door. I open it, a smile on my face but it drops immediately as soon as I see who it is. I try to close the door, but he forces himself in on time and shuts the door.

"You need to stop sneaking up on me every time, for God's sake!" I lock the door with the keys. "What if Luke was here? What would you tell him?"

"I know he's not here, that's why I took the opportunity to come and see you, my love." He says. "Natty," and I close my eyes. He gave me that nickname. He caresses my cheeks and although I try to remove his hand, I end up caressing his hand on my cheek.