Chapter Twenty-Four Acheron

Midas and his guards slowly walked through the halls of the Bifröst, the interior was a stark contrast to the dazzling beauty of the ship's hull. The halls of the Bifröst were oppressive, made of stone and beams of dark wood, but was still brightly lit by braziers lining the corridor. Midas's guards herded together despite the hall being several people wide. As they approached the end of the corridor two huge wooden doors, studded and barred with brutal unpolished steel creaked open. Beyond it was a massive circular room with a domed ceiling that was dozens of feet above them, around the edge of the room were twenty-foot statutes of warriors wearing furs, chainmail and open-faced helms with wings flaring out from their temples. Each statute clutched a sword in both first with the blade pointing down, the point of the blade resting in brazier of blue fire. At the far end of the room was a massive tree with is branches fading into the shadows above them, a flock of ravens fluttered to branch to branch, only a slight red glow in their eyes revealing them for robots. Nestled among the three's roots was a simple wooden throne, it's surface was covered with tiny intricate cravings. Julia was sat in the throne, in full armour the gleaming gold crown resting on her head and a heavy fur draped over her shoulders. Flanking her were Dozens of the black armoured Raven knights, each with their weapons drawn, the steel glistening as the blue firelight dance along the intricate carvings of the Knights' black armour. Midas cursed his guards silently as they crowded closer to each other in fear and watched as Julia slowly rose and strode down the onyx steps towards them. Midas bowed his head slightly but kept his eyes ups on the knights and the dangerous woman in front of him, he doubts it was not their style to assassinate him like this, but he wasn't prepared to take that chance, his fingers twisting the emergency teleport beacon that was set into the ring. The technically was experimental and incredibly expensive but had so far been reliable. He hoped he could avoid using it.

Kiore emerged from the shadows emerged between them. "I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I hope you understand the lady Ravensong has some.... misgivings since the unfortunate death of her officer Hades Olympia".

At the mention of Hades, Julia's fingers tightened on the arm of her throne. "She can't possibly believe that I had anything to do with it?"

Julia sprang from her throne and stormed down the steps, Midas' guards shrinking back from her in fear. "That flight path was supposed to be secured! By your men!"

Midas stepped forward to face her, not intimidated by Julia's tower height or the Knights stepping forwards raising their weapons from the ground. "And what would I have to gain from his death?!"

Julia held up a hand waving Fi'mao and the others back.

"Hades was against this alliance of yours, and everyone knew it". Julia's golden eyes burned with anger and she almost shook with rage.

And it only got worse when Midas leaned in with a smug grin and practically whispered his reply. "Exactly why I wouldn't kill him, I would be the first suspect. Think"

Julia looked ready to kill the Patriarch before Kiore stepped between them. "We have people looking into it Ravensong and we will discover who is to blame, no matter who they might be. But for now, we have a more immediate situation to deal with, Artie if you would".

The space in front of the throne suddenly lit up blue, forming the topography of desert valley as the three of them walked out of the light. "A supply train runs through this valley; we have learnt that it will be delivering reinforcements and supplies to the Cardinals forces within the next few days. Before now it has been beyond our reach before now, but thanks to the surge by the Patriarch's troops it is now within striking distance". Julia took her time to study the landscape as Kiore spoke, the valley he spoke of had a sheer cliff on one side that towered hundreds of feet above the mag track and would make any attack from the direction incredibly difficult.