Chapter Seven The Mantel

"The pressures low in chamber seven, can you check the seals? We might have blown a valve". A series of bangs and a strange clicking sound erupted from inside the engine structure. "Cut the attitude and do it ok" Poseidon was working on the new model for the Raptors, the changes to the compressors should be providing more power on dust off, but the design couldn't seem to withstand the pressure, he ran the simulation on his data pad, once again the seals bust. His comm system beeped as a call came through, he threw the data-pad on to the desk in frustration and slammed the receiver "yeah!?" He spun around in his chair and exhale slowly, trying to relieve some of the stress he was feeling.

"Sir, The Ravensong is here to see you"

Poseidon practically sprang at the desk. "Send her in" The banging in the engine stop and some more click echoed from deeper within, Poseidon turned on the engine with anger "shut it!" a polite chough came from behind him, he spun around, he loved this chair he had to admit.

"Shall I leave you and the...engine alone, so you can finish your argument?" Julia had just entered the room, the door was swinging behind her, but she still managed to look as if she had been judging him the entire time, she stood there her hands on her hips and slight smile on her face. "I'm sorry about that. May I help you Ravensong?" She walked over to the desk and sat in the chair opposite, Zeus had insisted that it didn't spin as he was the one who normally occupied it; he said it made him feel like a child.

"I just came to talk; I've been out of my recovery and we've barely spoken"

Poseidon let out a small laugh "I'm sorry Ravensong but I have been quite engrossed with my work"

She looked at the engine that lay in bits across most of the room "So I see, may I ask why you do this on your day off?" she pointed at the dismantled engine behind him.

"This is my sanctuary" he gestured around at the huge room, every section filled with some mechanical object in varying stages of construction. "Zeus has his forge, Hades has his poetry and I have my work".

Julia burst out laughing "Hades a poet? I'm sorry but he doesn't seem the type, I mean from the little time I spent with him, he seemed a bit crude"

Poseidon was taking a drink of water as she was talking so just nodded his head until he swallowed. "Yes, he does but mostly it's just an act, he's actually quite a romantic"

Julia raised a questioning eyebrow "really? Is that... thingy supposed to be moving?" she pointed at the engine but this time it was shaking form side to side and a little grey head popped out "what in the Gods name is that?" The little grey grinning head, also poked out a little grey hand which waved at her.

"Oh, that's Tu'can, he's sort of my assistant" The little grey man jumped out of the engine and started clicking at them "ok, ok, partner happy now. And mind your language!" Tu'can had a slightly amphibian look, he was about two foot-tall with a pot belly and a very large head for his size.

"What did he say?" Tu'can climbed onto the bench that ran behind Poseidon's chair and winked at her "He said that he was no one's bloody assistant then he questioned my parentage, I'm sorry. He has a filthy mouth"

Julia smiled, Tu'can stuck his hand out, she took it gingerly and shock it gently, afraid she might break his tiny hand, it was scaled and tough like leather but surprisingly gentle, "Does he understand standard?" the little creature nodded vigorously and squeaked a couple of times "He can understand but he can't speck it, his voice box is just too different" Tu'can nodded again then pointed as his throat then shock his head, he then started clicking at her "He's asking if you came to see the armour?'