Chapter Fifteen Spear's Tip

Zeus scraped the blade across the whetstone; this was when everyone was the most on edge, those calm moments before the chaos of battle. Every heart beat feels like an eternity that doesn't quite last long enough. The room was quite apart from the scrape of steel on stone. He went over the plan over and over again in his head, he had to hand it to Julia it was a huge gamble. If the

Outremerian's caught on before they were ready, then they would be obliterated.

But if the plan worked then the first official engagement between Midgard and Outremer would be a decisive victory. "Are you're ready for this? A battle isn't the same as a duel; you don't have time to outsmart your opponent". Tara Looked up from sharpening her own blade and smiled softly. Zeus marveled at how her blond hair fell gracefully across her face.

"I know; I've fought in war before". It was rare to hear her speak, it was a habit she had been forced to learn during her years of slavery, but when she did Zeus was captivated by just how musical her voice was. Compared to her, he was just a brute.

"Not on this scale Tara, there's going to be a lot of bullets in the air. You should have let Poseidon reinforced that armour more". Like Julia, Tara had received her own enhanced armour. But hers had most of the protective plating removed, leaving just a thin sheet of metal covering the cybernetics. She stepped from her perch on the window sill and walked towards him. The lack of protection meant her armour hugged her form more closely than the rest and she moved elegantly, the light of Alfheimr's Suns glinting of the pitch black she had chosen. She bent over and took his head in her hands. "Don't worry so much" she smiled and softly placed a kiss against his lips.

"I'm not worried" Tara smirked and kissed his forehead

"Liar".

The monitors around her buzzed, Julia's eyes darted from screen to screen trying to get as much information as possible. From her position on the command dais aboard the Chariot the world of Alfheimr slowly revolved below them. Thoughts raced through Julia's head this would be her first real taste of command, so many lives depended on her, no matter what choices she made millions would die. All that would change would be whether it would be Midgardian blood or Outremerian. She felt Poseidon rest his hand on her shoulder and smile down at her, squeezing her shoulder reassuringly. Images of Poseidon surrounded by Lycans flashed through her mind, he knew the pressure she felt all too well. She closed her eyes, took a breath and ran through all of her plans once again. No, it was as good as she could get it. The rest is in the fates hands.

"Artie are we ready?" The A.I appeared on the arm rest beside her.

"We are ready Ravensong, waiting for your order" around her the room was heavy with anticipation, the flight staff on the command deck had turned to her waiting with bated breath.

"What of the Alfheimr forces?" The 3D image on her arm rested flickered slightly as he scanned the planet below them.

"The forces loyal to Ortaz have pulled back and the Royalists have moved to the front lines...no gun fire, it has seemed they have joined with the Outremerians, as you predicted lady Ravensong".

She nodded and rest her chin on the on her hands. Freeing Princess Esmeralda had forced her brother's hand, shortly after word had reached the capital of her escape Ortaz received orders to pull back and allow the King's forced to take their place on the front line. The move made no sense at a political value. The king had been allowing his enemies to weaken each other while his support remained close at hand and ready to sweep both away at the right moment. Zeus may not have much respect for the boy king's advisors, but they had maneuvered Ortaz into a dangerous situation, but to allow him respite would have been a mistake, unless they had struck a deal with the invaders. And they had simply gathered their forces. At least that's what Julia had suspected and Arties report confirmed it. "Relay your readings to Ortaz and move us into position" imminently the room with buzzing excitement, the staff relaying orders to hundreds of different units, everyone had been briefed on their part of the plan, each one was a cog in the machine and none of them wanted to fail the Ravensong. The Chariot and her escorts began to move. The Fulgur, The Embers and the Athena have been spotted by the imperial fleet moving to intercept"