Metal Eyes

I hadn't done much to get ready for leading everyone else outside with me for the full moon. I was too fidgety, but I had no idea why. This power was me, it was mine. It is mine and I will do whatever I have to too protect it and keep it because I'm the only one who can will it.

Everyone who doesn't have to leave the house stays put while the others, including myself head for the door.

Someone grabs onto my wrist and I spin around to see who it is, "Zo you be okay out there alright?"

It was Susan, I smiled and nodded toward her comforting words but then I realized she began to fidget. As if she was nervous for something herself, she looked behind her to see if anyone was standing close but no one was.

"Thanks Susan, I'll try to be okay"

"If anything happens, you know..just let me know, I'll just be here waiting with everyone else" she tells me before my wrists slips from her hand.

I nod and head for the door, everyone else is outside waiting including John. The look they all give me signifies the nerves and edginess they all seem to have and for a second I see all the same color auras that surrounds them.

"So where too Zoe?" John asks and I hadn't even decided that myself. I don't know if it's better to head down to the woods or stay in the back yard by the hill.

I summon my powers for a second, closing my eyes and imagining the darkness going through me. My eyes and soul fully dark now, they flash open and I look to my friends. Mia takes a step back before putting a hand to her chest. I shake my head and walk pass them hoping to figure something out. While up on the hill, I hold out my arms and close my eyes for a minute or two before I squat to the ground my hand hovering in the air still. I can feel the energy coming from the forest and from underneath the ground. I can sense the animals that lurk through the night and the cars, their horns and engines louder in my ears then most. I open my eyes and look down at the forest I was in earlier, I hadn't realized the thought until now.

"The forest goes around the mountain so maybe we should head down. It'll probably be better for blending in and things like that" I explain to them and John begins to walk in front of me.

It's funny, I'd break my neck to protect them but they'd still risk their lives for me.

"How do you know about the forest Zoe?" Xander comes up behind me. He walks close, his shoulder rubbing up against mines.

"I can feel it" I let the darkness go to rest again, "I can see it with my eyes and feel it in my hands. It's like I'm their looking at the trees and stuff" I tell him as we walk, reaching the end of the hill.

He nods, "that's pretty amazing, we just got here and you know the place already" he looks to me and smiles.

I smile back up into his piercing green eyes while he looks deep into my purple ones. He bites his lip and his eyes go to my lips and then back up to my eyes. I'm not watching where I'm going and a rock appears in front of my foot, I double over ready to catch myself but he grabs me and we both fall to the ground. I'm on top of him, I open my tight eyes and look down at him. I breathe hard and I'm sure he can feel my heart beating through my chest.

"Sorry" he flashes his perfect smile and I can't help but look at his lips as he holds me by my arms.

Someone clears their throat, I look up at Mia with her arms folded.

"Shit" I whisper under my breath and climb off of him. I brush the dirt off my clothes without even helping him up, James does the honors smiling at what he just did.

I walk up to where John is without looking back over my shoulder. We hit the forest stepping on the leaves that crunch under our feet. He keeps walking until he sees that same opening I saw earlier and I smile. He doesn't stop though, making his way closer to the trees.