66) Delicate situations

Comenzar desde el principio

"Sick coat. Why didn't you ever show us?"

"It was a secret. I was always worried that Kai would figure out the electronics hidden in this thing."

"You were right to think that." The kid with the glasses spoke. "But don't worry. Now we do."

The kids went quiet again. I was debating at this moment, whether I should go and speak to Tess- until somebody spoke.

"I don't like this."

"Koy, that's how it is... isn't it?"

"That stupid octoling. If she killed Rachel... even if she killed you... I want to see her suffer!"

Everybody took notice of Koy. "You really became attached to her... huh?"

"DO YOU GET IT, TESS?!"

"Koy,"

"She was... she was our one and only piece to the big puzzle, that was our friendship group. I just can't see her gone. I- want to help!"

Now everybody took notice. I felt a pang of worry hit me against the evening sky, but the other kids spoke.

"Why don't we help you too, Tess?" It was Joe.

"Yeah... can't we?" That was Kai.

"Do it already. Or do you want us to die?" It was Koy. He had clearly stepped past his boundaries, but nobody objected.

Tess could not answer. For a fraction of a second, I could see the worry and guilt on her face. She was clearly hiding her sadness for Rachel. I took over-

"None of you will be dispatched for missions," They all jumped towards me. "That means you too, Tess."

Her eyes widened. Everybody in the group stood up. They all clearly knew who I was. To them though, it felt like they had a chance, but they did not. I could not let them find Callie.

"What the heck is wrong with you now?!" She portrayed anger.

It hurt to see their sour faces. "Your dismissed from agent 4. This time, it's real. Keep the jacket, but you can't endanger anyone else anymore."

Her anger was felt by everyone. "THEY NEED HELP-"

"SO KEEP THEM OUR OF JOB-"

"WHAT IF WE NEED HELP!?"

"We don't," I calmed down now, knowing I had just found my excuse to use on her. Although, it would mean lying to her. "I filled out the kettles and already reviewed the zapfish from them. All that's left, is the boss kettle-"

"Do it then." I stopped talking instantly. "DO IT THEN!"

In anger, she stepped forward. I had never seen her so angry, but she grabbed me by the collar of my kimono, and stared at me.

"I can't." Her fist rose up, alerting Koy to run and stop this fight. "I... need to prepare myself."

She finally let me go in reluctance. I gasped a little in relief, but her face was still filled with fury.

"Everyone- LEAVE!"

They did as she said. It was out of their control. I knew it. She knew it. They knew it.

"Are you going too?"

Instead of doing anything harmful to me. She walked to the kettle that her friends had exited in. The winds breezed past her. The sky darkened at her leave. She finally spoke:

"I escaped from death. I saved you. I turned 2 extremely hateful octolings into good people!" She was not making a good effort of reaching my sympathy, "I became your best friend!" until she said those words. "Fine then. Finish the job without me. But, if you can't do it when the electricity runs out- then I'll step in."

She had made a big sacrifice. I felt it from her speech. Rachel clicked into my mind at that exact moment. I figured it out now. Like Koy, Tess had wanted revenge originally, but was now avoiding it. She was using this as an opportunity to escape from vengeance. She was being a good person.

"Rules, set and accepted. You may be pardoned, agent 4."

Her face wrinkled into a starting storm of tears. She held it in, and left me.

______________________________________________________________________

TO BE CONTINUED...

Meet the cast:

1. Tess as the main character
2. Rachel as her best friend
3. Joe as the air-headed one
4. Kai as the smart guy
5. Koy as the rival
6. Marie as the mystery
7. The interviewer as the questioner
8. Octo oven as the first boss encounter
9. Sheldon as the weapon supplier
10. crusty Sean as the grub guy
11. Rachel's mom as the cautious one
12. purple 9 as the big octoling
13. Tess' mom as the mom
14. Marina as the kind one
15. Pearl as the sassy kid
16. Koy's mom as the strict parent
17. Koy's Dad as the chance-giver
18. Purple 8 as a trendsetter
19. Sora as the young brother
20. Luka as the older sister
21. Zen as Purple 7
22. Octo samurai as the second boss encounter
23. The teacher as the knowledge giver
24. Octostomp as the third boss encounter
25. Callie as the other squid sister
26. Octo shower as the fourth boss encounter
27. Mask as the new octoling in town