Land Fall

It wasn't something Marty wanted to think about. He felt the pressure all around him, but he was stuck here. One of the few chosen, thanks to his years of studying. At least his mom had been right when she told him, "books are the key to your future." They had been his salvation more than once.

"Still sulking Matty?" Gemma sat down next to him. Her fuschia colored lips curled into a smile. Phony, he thought but kept quiet.

"Come on Matty, you know I hate it when you stay quiet." She batted her eyes.

"Name's M-A-R-T-Y," he said.

Her smile grew wider. "I know, but I just enjoy the way your eyes light up when I call you other names."

"On the sadistic side, are you?"

Gemma's laugh echoed against the metal wall that separated them from the crushing water outside.

"I like to think of myself as playful."

Marty sighed. Great, I'm stuck with a psychopath as an X.O.

"Lighten up big M otherwise it's going to be a long four months. We barely just left," Rufus patted him on the back as he sat on Marty's other side.

Marty stifled another sigh and made a mental note to wash his shirt again tonight. Rufus was one of those touchy people.

While Gemma and Rufus discussed the thickness and consistency of their poo, Marty's hope for a peaceful mission completely shattered.

Only the deafening sound of the alarm got them all to act professionally. The captain's voice followed the alarm. "Potential sighting, everyone to their stations."

Marty knew it was too early for them to find it. The last continent wouldn't be an easy find, but he went to his station anyway. He picked up his book, the reason why he was selected and was able to finally leave the tin can of an ocean station, they called Mercutio. His only home since he was born, but now he had the promise of feeling firm land underneath his feet.

The captain's voice confirmed his suspicion, "False alarm, everyone stand down."

Confirming no one was around Marty, took out his drawing of the land that he knew from his visions. "Soon," he said. But when he heard the loud whistling and the hearty laughter outside the hall he sighed. "But not soon enough."