Falling

Jackie huffed out the air leaving a smokey cloud trail of her hot breath. She knew she shouldn't wait for him outside in the cold, but she couldn't help herself.  A smile formed on her lips as their memories flashed in her mind, leaving a stream of warmth in her heart.

The first time she saw him he was standing on this cliff calmly taking in the views of the water gushing below.

"Aren't you afraid of falling?" She knew she disturbed his meditation. She ought to feel guilty, but it isn't often you can ask an angel a question.

"What's flying like?" she asked although he hadn't answered her previous question.

"Falling," he said.

She had never fallen.

"It's a rush of freedom and the peace of knowing," he kept his gaze on the water.

"Knowing what?" All she knew were the things she couldn't do. She heard her mom's voice in her mind.

"There are things you can and cannot do," she lectured as Jackie wiped the wall clean of her colorful creations. She had argued that the white had called her to add colors and shapes. But her mom ignored her and continued her rant. The memory faded when the angel turned to her.

"Do you want to fly?" He held out his hand.

She shook her head but took his hand.

His hands were ice, but they melted the clean walls of her life.

"Are you ready to fly?"

"Yes," she mumbled.

He lifted her up to the edge. She gasped at the sight of the world in front of her but closed her eyes when she looked down and saw the tumulous water below.

Something soft caressed her lips.

"First you need to fall," he whispered in her ear.

She had.