Challenge Accepted

After the class was dismissed Lo watched as her classmates made plans to celebrate the end of their summer session. She let out a loud sigh causing them to turn around and stare at her. She quickened her pace and kept her gaze down to avoid their eyes.

"I missed another opportunity," she mumbled to herself. Being in a commuter college made it hard to meet people and make friends. Especially for someone like her.

"I should have gone out of state", she thought aloud. But Lo knew that her mom wouldn't have allowed it.

Her abrupt stop made a man bump into her. Lo's nose filled with a familiar smell. She sniffed the air, causing one of the couples near her to stare at her. Ignoring the gawking lovers she followed the odor to a part of the school she didn't even know existed.

A circular staircase led down to the basement.

Lo hadn't smelled the concentrated scent since she was little. She went down another set of stairs, this time the metal railing has a glass screen underneath.

"I'm entering the belly of the beast," she giggled to herself.

On the last floor, she read, Sub-Basement 2. She would have studied the area further had the smell not called her.

Lo knew she had found the source when she saw the sparkling clear water and heard the swishing of swimmers.

"A pool," she gasped and pressed her face to the glass.

She slowly opened the door using Stealth Lo. Inside there was a pretty blond girl talking to a tall guy. They both had Lifeguard shirts.

Lo took a deep inhale savoring the chlorine before walking out. An orange-colored octopus caught her attention.

SWIM TEAM TRYOUTS, the flyer read.

A month from now, Lo noted.

An idea began to form in her mind. She tried to shake the thought before it settled, but it was too late. Her heart beat fast and a smile formed on her lips. The few doubts that came up, mostly her mom finding out, were squashed when she looked at the picture of the octopus.

"Like Grandpa would say, 'it's meant to be,'" she told the orange cartoon.

Lo took out a pen and the tiny notebook that served as her journal and wrote:

Plan of Attack:

1. Takeout books on swimming from the library.

2. Learn to swim.

3. Try out for the swim team!