Day 8: Unknown | Part 2

Start from the beginning

There was no time to think about that now, though.

"Never mind that," I told him, waving it off. "Let's go."

With this floor cleared, we sneaked down the stairs in a hurry. But then the next set of stairs were blocked by piles and piles of wooden chairs, so we had to go to the other end. We stopped and stood frozen as more than ten pairs of eyes settled on us.

Oh, craaaap. There were more than ten men and women in suits scattered on the floor. Maybe about fifteen? Almost twenty?

The three of us exchanged looks.

"I'll take ten, then you guys divide the other ten," said Jin Yeong, stretching his arms as he eyed the crowd forming slowly in front of us.

"No, we'll both take ten," replied Mikihito.

I scoffed. "What about me?"

He shook his head. "You're the queen piece, you don't have to fight."

"Let her fight if she wants to," interjected Jin Yeong. "She can hold her own."

"She has us," argued Mikihito, glaring. "There's no need to risk herself."

I crossed my arms, my eyes narrowing. "I'm not going to sit idly by and just watch," I said through gritted teeth. "I'm not freaking fragile."

Jin Yeong made a there-you-go gesture to Mikihito, before turning his attention back to the guards. Now in formation, they were cautiously walking towards us, waiting to see who'd strike first. Mikihito tsked and crouched in a fighting position, while Jin Yeong stepped forward with his fists clenched on his sides, his posture was relaxed but also alert.

"Fight close to me," he whispered to me.

I nodded, before telling him, "Arigatou."

"For what?"

"Believing in me."

"You should believe in yourself more." He looked over his shoulder, and gave me a smile. "You're strong. Don't let anyone else let you think otherwise."

My heart felt like it was going to burst, and I had to hold back my tears. No one ever had faith in me quite like he did. I always liked that he saw me for me. Even now, he still did.

He let me be my own person.

I so badly wanted to kiss him right now, but this wasn't the time and place. We had to beat these kidnappers first and escape.

"Ikuzo!" hissed Mikihito, before running forward.

The crowd in black followed suit and charged at us.

I ran and then knelt down, skidding forward with my arms stretched out. I grabbed them by their legs and knocked down a couple of them at the same time. When I came to a stop, I placed my palms flat on the ground and swung my legs around, knocking a few more of their feet.

I got up, just in time for someone to take a swing at me. I ducked and was able to dodge at the last second. Before I could follow through with a comeback, a foot came out of nowhere and kicked him on the side.

"I told you to fight close."

I glanced at Jin Yeong and smiled sheepishly. "I got excited."

He shook his head in amusement for a moment. But then in a flash, he grabbed my arm and pulled me behind him before throwing another kick at a random guard.

With the three of us fighting together, it was easy to take them all down. In no time, it was just us that was left standing. We gave each other tired but triumphant smiles.